OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

M2 with new sumtoy now with a 2nd pattern help please!!!

Started by huntmaster80, July 03, 2013, 09:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huntmaster80

This was my first shot with heavyweight and my new choke from SUMTOY out of my benelli m2. I obviously pulled the shot high but other than that what do you think about the pattern? I still had 121 hits in a 10" circle.  It was shot at 40 yards checked with a range finder. I am going to go and shoot it again later today when it stops raining and hopefully I dont shoot high the next time!!!

So i got a bigger piece of paper and shot my gun 3 more times with bacisally the same results every time. High and a bit to the left.  here is a pic of what would have been the best pattern if it would have been where I wanted it to be. And it would have been a really good one in my opnion ( if it was in the circle).  what should I do to bring my pattern down, I really dont want to have my gun tapped for a scope.

drenalinld

121 is not bad, but I think if you get the middle more dense part of the pattern it will be a little better. I would recommend a much larger peice of cardboard to see the whole pattern. If you are shooting beads it may be off. That is the case with many turkey choke/gun combos. It is very common for them to shoot high with heavy payloads. That gun is designed to be dead on with lighter/less recoil game loads.

mikejd

Quote from: drenalinld on July 03, 2013, 10:09:01 AM
121 is not bad, but I think if you get the middle more dense part of the pattern it will be a little better. I would recommend a much larger peice of cardboard to see the whole pattern. If you are shooting beads it may be off. That is the case with many turkey choke/gun combos. It is very common for them to shoot high with heavy payloads. That gun is designed to be dead on with lighter/less recoil game loads.

I buy the roll of brown protection paper at home depot. One roll will last your whole life lol and I cut 4' pieces for patterning. This way I can track the whole pattern.

Also I don't know if you deep cleaned or polished that barrel but if not I would do that first.

huntmaster80

I cleaned the barrel before I shot it, and it was very clean. I'm gona go get some brown paper and shoot it again this evening.

FL-Boss

it looks like the most dense part of the pattern towards the top would have been 150+.   Get a bigger piece of paper.. or poster board at Walmart, that is what I use.

Get your POA correct..  with that combo I would think 175 is possible. You have the right choke and shell.

SumToy

Get you some junk shells (walmart bird loads) to test with at around 50 to 60 feet. 

Now are you looking down the rib level or when you mount the gun you looking down on top of rib.   If it has mid bead are you stacking then or hiding the front one behind the mid one. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mikejd

are you shooting a bead or an adjustable sight. If its a bead and thats what i prefer and how i hunt sometimes its necessary to try a different choke to get your POI lined up with your bead. You actually have a nice pattern you just have to get your POI dialed in.
Also as sumtoy stated above if your head it to high that is what it will look like. when i shoot a bead I cut it in half with the rib. Many birds have been missed because someone forgot to get that head down on the stock. Keep at it you will get it dialed in.

eddie234

A set of adjustable fiber optic sights will do the trick.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: FL-Boss on July 03, 2013, 01:08:36 PM
it looks like the most dense part of the pattern towards the top would have been 150+.   Get a bigger piece of paper.. or poster board at Walmart, that is what I use.

Get your POA correct..  with that combo I would think 175 is possible. You have the right choke and shell.

X-2
I'd love to know what your going to get. That will look impressive whe she gets diald in. Repost if ya can.
:anim_25:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

R AJ

When looking down the barrel see less bead and place it ever so slightly right of the spot or X. It should be perfect.

Or get a barrel adjustment or sights that fit on the rib and adjust. No scope is ever "necessary"unless eyesight is very poor.

gobblergls

Benelli has chrome lined barrels.  No need to polish and if too aggressively "polished" with the wrong materials can remove the lining.  You are drawing the circle in the wrong place.  You are losing 50-60 holes easily by not drawing it on the densest part of the pattern.  You appear to be drawing it on the edge of the pattern in both photos.   Nothing wrong with that gun/choke/shell combo.  POI/POA divergence is correctable.

huntmaster80

I made the circle then the dot near the center, I then shot at the dot.  I recently acquired a Fastfire 3 and I just received a 336 mount.  Now I just need to find a gun smith that I trust drillling into my new 1500 gun!!! Then I will be in business!!!!

Seth B

Quote from: SumToy on July 04, 2013, 09:18:17 AM
Get you some junk shells (walmart bird loads) to test with at around 50 to 60 feet. 

Now are you looking down the rib level or when you mount the gun you looking down on top of rib.   If it has mid bead are you stacking then or hiding the front one behind the mid one.
What he said.
I'm pretty new to the shotgun word. 2 yrs ago I bought a 20 Ga nova.
Turkeys were my #1 goal.
Got my self a good turkey choke.(570 jellyhead)&few boxes of fed heavyweight #7s
went out and shot some paper.
my patters looked just like yours.
good pattern 150-180 in 10".
Poi was off poa high and left.
after some reading on how to aim.
I was able to get my pattern centered on the poa.
I had to hide the rear bead behind the barrel bead.
Worked for me, Might be worth messing with.

Tail Feathers

That second pic has a great pattern, probably over 200.  It's just high and left of your circle.
Find a way to get the point of aim to match point of impact and you will be good to go!

Agree with sighting in close with cheap shells and then using expensive stuff to finalize.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!