OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Diaphragm trim

Started by jims, June 22, 2013, 02:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I'm just getting started with diaphragm calls and it's a lot tougher than I expected.  I was wondering if many of you with narrow faces/jaws trim your diaphragms?  I have a smaller call that seems to fit a lot more comfortably in my mouth.  Is there any advantage to having large diaphragm calls or will I risk screwing the larger ones up if they are trimmed?  I'm not sure if I just need to get used to the larger calls in my mouth or it may be better to trim them?   

eddie234

I trim all mine. A little at a time until you get the right fit.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

mikejd

Same here. I trim most. I did notice that Hooks calls seem to be a bit smaller and they are the only ones I don"t have to trim. 

guesswho

I have to trim them as well.  I also have to bend the frame slightly, which I think some people say don't do.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

jims

That's pretty much what I thought.  The Hooks I bought seems about right.  Some of the others are so large that I can barely close my mouth without my teeth catching on the outer diaphragm.  I'll trim my others a little at a time.  I should have a pretty good template for cutting them to shape once I figure out what size works out the best.  Thanks for the suggestions!

DirtNap647

dirtnap

I never have trimmed any.  Most of the ones that I end up using will have teeth marks on the outer edge of them.  It doesn't seem to effect the desired sound that I am looking for.

jblackburn

If you are just trimming the tape, you really cannot screw one up.  I know guys that run calls without tape, just the frame. 

I do have to plug Gooserbat here, Sam designed his tape cutter to be 1/8th inch narrower than most calls.  Also, he has several youth frame calls if you just need a more narrow frame.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jims

I did a trim job on my diaphragms and boy did that ever make a difference!  My gag-reflex has pretty much disappeared and it's a lot more comfortable.  I found a website with great instructions and recordings for each call:  http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/library/libindex-calling-learn.htm

The key board on my computer is pretty well soaked from spit but things are slowly but surely coming along.  It certainly would be a tough and drawn out process...especially without any guidance!

derek

After running some calls from hooks I started trimming them all down to that size as soon as I get them. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Byhalia

I use no tape at all !!!!!   :z-guntootsmiley:
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/