Main Menu

what do you guys feed to the deer.

Started by WV TURKEY THUG, June 17, 2013, 08:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TURKEY THUG

I'm interested on what everyone else is feeding the deer. Thanks

WV Ridge Reaper

coyote1

150 grain core-loks. ;D   Evolved harvest throw & grow. I believe it has clover, brassica and a few other things i'm not sure of. I would have to look at a bag. I don't plant until august.

WV TURKEY THUG

They seem to like trophy rock really well but I undecided if I'm gong to still use it after I picked it up one day and it had sharp pieces of salt or something in it.  I had piece actually stick in my hand. I can just imagine what it would do to a deers tounge. But they really like it. I've tried the throw n grow its really easy to plant and the deer love it.

redarrow

WV TURKEY THUG

Never tried the oats. I'm more the less looking for something to us in a feeder. I've got so much clover planted they ain't gonna even put a dent in it.

mikejd

It is illegal to feed any game in NY.

Woodsman4God

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on June 17, 2013, 08:41:39 PM
Trophy Rock right now

Go check out tractor supply, they have mineral blocks for feeding Cows,  virtuually the same content as the trophy rock but twice as big for half the price. The deer tore them up on my dads property last year.

renegade19

Muzzy.   :funnyturkey:  seriously though its illegal here.

vaturkey

Vaturkey

lightsoutcalls

Corn, corn and more corn...   ;D 

I have been blessed to get access to 2 small properties, 1 - 80 acres in Ozark Mtns. and the other 120 acres at the base of the Ouachita Mtns.  On the private properties I can use feed.  I just looked through my pics from last year of the deer from August through November that I had on trail camera... what a season!  At the 2 bait sites I had a minimum of 24 different deer on camera.  Between dad and I we took 4 deer off the sites.  They should be covered up with doe that will need thinning this year.  I have my out for 2 particular bucks that I hope to see again as well.

I have thought about mixing in some pellet feed that will give some protein along with the corn.  Corn is best as far as not dissolving if it rains or getting wet and swelling and clogging a feeder.  That said, it has very little nutritional value for the animals.  It's more like feeding them candy.  Almost everybody likes candy, but it isn't nutritious.  I was going to look at a pellet form of goat feed.  I buy my corn in bulk from a farmer's coop, where I can also buy bulk pellet feed.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

barry

If you're talking minerals, we use the livestock trace mineral in the link below.
We add 1 pack of jello mix to about 6-8 lbs and the deer absolutely destroy it!

http://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4664-champions-choice-trace-mineral-salt-50lb.aspx

beagler

Never Misses

pcgobbler

Corn, corn, & corn!   Big bucks don't come to eat much, but they follow their girlfriends.

howl