OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the best tss choke?

Started by WW, June 12, 2013, 02:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

I have a 870. What's the best choke for 3inch 2 oz. #9  loads? I want a tight pattern so that I don't spray the turkey with shot. What brand and constriction?
Thanks

WW

Let's try again...to the guys who shoot tss loads that use a 870, which choke has the best pattern. I know that different guns like different chokes, but in your 870.....which choke does it like?

bartstarr

my 870 with 21" bl and .662 hevi shot choke and 1 5/8 oz of tss 9s does 340 in 10", it doesn't like 2 oz as well

Swamprunner

WW

Swamprunner

WW

Tail Feathers

I don't want to start a flame war, but 9"s?

Really?  Can they kill cleanly at 40 yards?

That's awfully small shot and at some point volume doesn't make up for penetration? ???
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

WW

Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 13, 2013, 09:33:45 AM

That's awfully small shot and at some point volume doesn't make up for penetration? ???

Man you really haven't heard of tss shot have you?

honker22

I shoot 1 3/4 and 2 oz loads out of my 21" 870 and have tested quite a few chokes.  I settled on an Indian Creek .675/non ported/no wad catchers.  I have yet to find a choke in the .665-.680 range that doesn't shoot them well, it's just fine tuning to whatever your preference is.  I like a good even coverage in the 10 and 20 rings, and the .675 gives me 300+ in both. 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

bartstarr

I wasn't sure about them either until I pulled the trigger on a gobbler at 45 thru heavy brush he was spooked so I picked an opening and when he got there I shot he disappeared thought I had missed but when I got to him his head was swelled badly from all the tiny shot in it, he never flopped, killed several with 9s since then all were smashed.

redarrow

Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 13, 2013, 09:33:45 AM

Yes ,9s will kill cleanly and efficiently at 40 yards. These are from my 20 ga. Benelli Nova W/ .555 Indian Creek.

I tacked the target to a sheet of paneling ,and placed a piece of aluminum flashing behind it . I realize the aluminum isn't all that thich but it still shows that a turkey doesn't stand a chance against the swarm of 9s. This was at 40 yards also.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Tail Feathers

WW, I've heard of it but that's all.

I know it's heavier than lead but that heavy?
I recall seeing someone on here who loaded 8's in it, but never heard of 9's, even in lead that I can recall.

I really didn't want to flame anyone, just would love to see some weight info on this stuff.  Guess I should hang out in the gun or reloading forums more.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!