turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best HTL choke for a SBE II

Started by Casey Johnson, June 08, 2013, 10:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Casey Johnson

I just bought a SBE II with a 26" barrel. The gun is stock. It hasn't had any barrel mods., or anything. I would like to shoot Hevi-13 #6 or Magnum Blends out of it. Has anyone got any advice on a good choke? Maybe even some pellet counts? 3" and 3.5". I have looked at maybe a Kicks or an IC. What are ya'll shooting?- Thanks
NWTF - Tennessee

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Casey Johnson on June 08, 2013, 10:49:02 PM
I just bought a SBE II with a 26" barrel. The gun is stock. It hasn't had any barrel mods., or anything. I would like to shoot Hevi-13 #6 or Magnum Blends out of it. Has anyone got any advice on a good choke? Maybe even some pellet counts? 3" and 3.5". I have looked at maybe a Kicks or an IC. What are ya'll shooting?- Thanks

First of all, congratulations. You have an excellent shotgun and in my experience, a great barrel length to go along with it. I've been shooting Benelli shotguns for a long time and see excellent patterns with them.

For the most part, excepting when evaluating a new choke, I normally shoot 3" Hevi-13 shells with either #6 or #7 shot. I have however shot a number of Magnum Blend shells but prefer the standard load due to the evenness of the patterns and the reduced recoil that allows me to get back on target much more quickly. The same is true for the 3.5" shells.

There are a variety of chokes that shoot any of the Hevi-13 shells very well. The Hevi-13 choke is a good place to start, along with the SSX, the Wright's and the Pure Gold. All are excellent well made products, with differing internal geometries but achieve the same or similar end.

I would encourage you to "deep clean" the bore of your SBEII. That chrome-lined bore can appear to be very clean when in fact it can have "gunk" in it. Even new guns can have that gunk.

It's been my experience that once you deep clean the bore, routine cleaning will allow it to pattern to its potential each and every time.

Again, congratulations on your new gun. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

VaTuRkStOmPeR

.660 rhino

Never seen a gun that did not shoot a rhino extremely well.  Probably the most consistent choke on the market, IMO.

PALongspur

Call Rob Roberts Custom Gunworks and get yourself a Final Strut turkey choke.

You pay for one and you get to try every constriction that Rob makes until you find what performs the way you want. Best deal in turkey chokes!

nyhunter

Quote from: PALongspur on June 09, 2013, 10:10:35 AM
Call Rob Roberts Custom Gunworks and get yourself a Final Strut turkey choke.

You pay for one and you get to try every constriction that Rob makes until you find what performs the way you want. Best deal in turkey chokes!

X2 ..

Casey Johnson

Thanks guys, the more research I do, the more I lean towards Rob. I sort of forgot about him until ya'll mentioned it. I might call him up one day, and see what he can tell me. In the future, I would like to get him to fix it up a little, anyway.
NWTF - Tennessee

beagler

Never Misses

yelpy

Congrat's on a fine shotgun.. I have a 24" barreled SBEII and tried the Rhino choke with no luck. I see the IC .665 is a common choke used. I have one but haven't tried it yet. I have had luck with the Hevi 13 chokes .665 and .671, Trulock .660, and Jellyheads .660 and .668. I have a few others that I can't remember if I shot through them. I would have to get my targets out and go through them. The Hevi 13. 665 is my favorite choke as of right now.

I have a .670 Rob Roberts choke, a Kicks .660, .667 bone collector, carlsons .665, and jellyhead .660. If you would happen to be interested in any shoot me a PM. I also have a .670 PG but am waiting on another member to make a decision.   

lunghit

I found the Hevi choke with Hevi-13 #6 to work the best in my SBE2. I tried a few different loads and chokes and this combo threw a great pattern.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Ridge Rooster

Got some great patterns with a Rhino .660 and mag blends 3". Forget the exact count but it was over 225. That was out of a 24" SBE2. Get upwards of 250+ with Nitro 4x5x7's, and the Rhino. Have another hunting partner that uses a SBE1 and Rhino .660 24" barrel and gets equal performance with Nitro's but I dont think he has tried the Mag Blends.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

Casey Johnson

Beagler, what kind of loads are you shooting out of your Rhino? I just found a guy with a used Rhino .660 for sale, this morning. I've narrowed myself down to either a Rhino, a Hevi-Choke, or a Rob Roberts. I'm probably going to try the Rhino first, if I can get this one for a decent price. After seeing Ridge Rooster's post, I think I will for sure try some Mag Blends out of it.
NWTF - Tennessee

beagler

I'm shooting 3 1/2" Nitro's (4 X 5 X 7's ) and 3 1/2" MagBlends. Nitro's pattern a tad better.
Never Misses

reynolds243

just pulling this back up for info. I have a Jellyhead 660 and a Rob Roberts 655 on the way to do some testing.  If anyone is interested in selling a Rhino let me know as id like to try one of those as well.

I will update with the findings when i get them up on a warm day. Gonna shoot Magblends and the new winchester Long beard from the gun to start with.

01Foreman400

I also shoot a Rhino .660 in my SBE 2.  I get some nice patterns with it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

weave

I am using an IC .665 in mine and have no complaints.

Video from my last kill using the IC. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2