OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel length of 1187

Started by allthumbs, June 08, 2013, 04:06:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allthumbs

Starting to look for an 1187 12 GA  wondering what barrel length everybody likes to use on this weapon

allaboutshooting

Quote from: allthumbs on June 08, 2013, 04:06:55 PM
Starting to look for an 1187 12 GA  wondering what barrel length everybody likes to use on this weapon

I have several and have had a few more including 24", 26", 28" and 30".  The longer barrels do add just a bit of weight and you'll have less muzzle whip.

In competition we always use the longest barrels allowed because they seem to allow the shot charge to settle more and produce more even patterns, so 30" is generally the rule. For hunting purposes however the 26" seems just about perfect.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

youngun15

Fullfan

I have 2 with a 21" pipe and one with a 23". All 3 shoot the federal hevi weights 150 + and one will shoot 240 ish with the Indian Creek BDS shooting the 3" hevi #7 shot.
Don't gobble at me...

Uvagobbler

26" is a good choice. I have a 26" shooting Hevi 3"-2-#7 with the hevi-13 tube and it is very impressive. I believe that the longer barrel may be easier to find that "magic" combination, however, others are getting awesome numbers with shorter barrels. It is a roll of the dice finding the right choke. I hope you find the right choke tube right off the bat and save yourself time and money.

BandedSpur