turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

conditioning strikers

Started by coyote1, June 04, 2013, 02:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote1

Which is better to use 220 grit sandpaper or drywall screen?

West Augusta

Which ever you have handy.  Just lightly scuff up the tip.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

davisd9

I love 180 grit drywall screen for conditioning crystal and glass. I use a scotch brite for striker tips and slates.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Green Trumpeter

I usually use scotch brite for striker tips and slate calls as well

WV Ridge Reaper

I use scotch brite but have been known to use drywall screen as well.

TnTurk

I like "new" scotch brite, preferably maroon. The green you have to watch it because after multiple uses it loses it's effectiveness and can end up making the striker tips slick. Dry wall screen or 220 grit sand paper seems to do the trick for me.  God Bless, Steve

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: TnTurk on June 04, 2013, 10:09:36 PM
I like "new" scotch brite, preferably maroon. The green you have to watch it because after multiple uses it loses it's effectiveness and can end up making the striker tips slick. Dry wall screen or 220 grit sand paper seems to do the trick for me.  God Bless, Steve

Where do you get the maroon at ? I never seen it at wal mart.

scoot12

I use a paint pad,  I believe thats what there called,  bought it at Menards and works great.  Scoot

coyote1

Thanks everyone. I have never seen the maroon scotch brite either. I got the medium grit drywall screen, hopefully it is equivalent to 180 grit.

davisd9

Quote from: coyote1 on June 05, 2013, 01:59:18 AM
Thanks everyone. I have never seen the maroon scotch brite either. I got the medium grit drywall screen, hopefully it is equivalent to 180 grit.

180 grit or better is known as extra fine.  Medium grit will be like 80 - 120.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

TnTurk

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on June 04, 2013, 10:16:23 PM
Quote from: TnTurk on June 04, 2013, 10:09:36 PM

Where do you get the maroon at ? I never seen it at wal mart.
Maroon scotch brite can be bought at places that sell automotive paint or, most body shops may have it. I got mine from a guy in north Georgia. It's a little more coarse than the green pads and works pretty good on my copper pot call too. God Bless, Steve

coyote1

Quote from: davisd9 on June 05, 2013, 08:15:49 AM
Quote from: coyote1 on June 05, 2013, 01:59:18 AM

180 grit or better is known as extra fine.  Medium grit will be like 80 - 120.

I guess I better go back to the store for some fine screen. Is medium grit screen good for anything on turkey calls?

davisd9

I would be a bit nervous or using the medium grit personally. Go to Lowes or home depot and get some 150 grit.  I prefer sanding screen but paper will work.  I also prefer 180 cause it gives it a little finer sound, imo.  I had to go to a hardware store to find the 180 grit.  Never tried 220.

coyote1

Thanks, I'm glad I asked this question, I may have ruined some fine calls. All the help is much appreciated. This is the place to be for new turkey hunters.

turkeystrut

You can get the maroon scotchbright  pad at  AutoZone  and oreilys.
gotta love the outdoors!