OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Hummingbird Photos  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Redfish

Hummingbird Photos
« on: June 04, 2013, 08:49:35 AM »
I finally got some halfway decent shots of hummingbirds in my backyard after much trial and error. I ended up removing the screen, putting a big cardboard box in my den window and cutting a hole in it for the lens to stick through. I covered all of the holes in the feeder except for one so I would have the little buggers in a small area and had the camera on a tripod aimed just off the feeder. I had to take the pictures around mid day (not a good time for hummingbird sightings) to have enough light with the fast shutter speed. I still wasn't able to get fast enough to stop the wings and get good lighting with my lens. It was a lot like deer hunting waiting for them to show up and getting off a couple of shots before the shutter noise scared them. I'm thinking about putting a reflector on the ground to get more light on the underside to make up for my modest lens but I'm sure it would spook them.   

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 08:57:58 AM by Redfish »
John 3:16

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Hummingbird Photos
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
Nice pics.....

Offline Hawkfarm

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:32:30 PM »
Great photos - I really like them.  What camera, lens and shutter speed?  How far is the feeder in front of the cardboard?  Ruby throated females?  I assume the reddish tint comes from the light reflection off of the feeder. 

I've had to use some similar tactics.  I take down all the feeders but one along two sides of the screened-in porch and take the glass out of the window with the remaining feeder.  I also close the blinds except for the one open window.  I have to sit back from the opening.  I wait to hear them coming and try to get the camera prefocused.  The birds don't like seeing me, the camera and tripod, or hearing the sound of the shutter.  I haven't tried putting up a piece of cardboard.  I like your idea and will try it.  Thanks for posting.  And I may try it with the deer and turkeys that come around the farm yard.

Offline Redfish

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:07:56 PM »
Thanks for the nice coments. It's a Nikon D-90/ Nikkor 70-300mm lens and shutter speed is 1/800. Yes the red tinge is from the reflection off the feeder. The feeder is about eight feet from the lens. If you get any closer they won't stand for the shutter noise. They only stay for about four shots as it is. They are female ruby throats. For some reason the males don't come around at midday. BTW, I looked at some of your posts and you've taken some nice shots. It's just not fair for you to have a backyard like that. I would never sleep if I had action like that going on outside my window.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:03:58 PM by Redfish »
John 3:16

Offline flintlock

• Paintbrush Beard
  • Good luck!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »
Love those little hummers
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!