Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 Overhall (question on seeing barrel in scope)

Started by bowmike, June 03, 2013, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

After missing a monster gobbler this year, I decided to overhaul my 870 for the next year. I did harvest a bird this year with just the bead but I wanted the extra comfort of having a scope. Here is the gun before the overhall with the bird I harvested.

The gun was a standard 28" remington 870 with a modified choke.

Here is how the gun looks now after its partial over haul.

I put a Truglo Gobble stopper choke on it, and also have a primos tight wad that I will be patterning as well. I want to find the perfect choke and ammo combination by fall 2013. I am sure this will be a never ending process until I find the perfect match.

I also added the BSA Boss Turkey scope. This scope is very nice. It has a turkey reticle that is pretty much 2 cirlcles one large and one small with crosshairs going through both. It also has windage dots, but I doubt I will need them. THe scopes reticles can be illuminated in 3 different colors, (red, blue, or green) and each of these has 3 different brightness settings.

I went with a barska tactical mount. The mount fit on easy and have a window so you can still use the bead as well. I liked the tactical look, and saved some money by not buying the BSquare mount.

Remington is sending a replacement stock since the original laminate stock had some finish issues, where it was flaking off. I had requested a composite stock instead to not have possible repeat issues, but never got confirmation on what they were sending. It does not matter either way. If it does come in as camo composite it will be going on as is. If it is the same laminate stock, I will be re finishing the original stock and painting it camo, and keeping the laminate stock new.

I will keep you all updated on the progress the gun makes, and how the patterns look, on it as well.

I believe I am going to slide the scope up a bit for more eye relief as well. I had simply just put it on temporarily but will be fine tuning soon. WIth the 28" barrel and having the scope set back as far as I do now, I can see the barrel in my scope. I hope that by sliding the scope forward this elimantes that issue.

Not sure what else I could do if it does not. Any suggestions are welcome.

I had contemplated looking for a smaller barrel for the gun, but decided to take that money to put towards choke, and ammo searching after receiving advice from guys on here. I also thought about getting an after market stock like the shure shot or black hawk, but thought this would pretty much be more money wasted on aesthetics and would not focus fully on the functionality of the gun.

Thanks for looking, and Ill keep you all posted.

CrustyRusty

Looks good to me, but like you said, I would move that scope forward a bit.  Sometimes you will see the barrel on low magnification but it usually goes away on a higher magnification.  There are several factors that cause you to see the barrel, such as FOV, power range, barrel length, mount height, etc.  Unless it really obscures the sight picture, I wouldnt worry about it.

bowmike

Thanks,

i did not check and see if it is still visible when "zooming" in. Like I said i just did the quick install and will be fine tuning. Thanks for the tips.

howl

It is normal to see the barrel with a low power scope. If you couldn't the field of view would be too narrow for ease of use at short range.

davisd9

I am not saying that seeing the barrel is a problem, but I have a Simmons Pro-Diamond 4 x 32 mm and I do not see my barrel.  If it gets your poi and poa together and does not cause any issues then use it.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

CrustyRusty

I doubt you would see barrel with a 4x...usually you see it with 1 or 2x...

Quote from: davisd9 on June 03, 2013, 03:24:18 PM
I am not saying that seeing the barrel is a problem, but I have a Simmons Pro-Diamond 4 x 32 mm and I do not see my barrel.  If it gets your poi and poa together and does not cause any issues then use it.  Good luck!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: bowmike on June 03, 2013, 12:41:12 PM
Thanks,

i did not check and see if it is still visible when "zooming" in. Like I said i just did the quick install and will be fine tuning. Thanks for the tips.

It's always hard to tell from a picture but it appears that your scope is slightly canted forward. That may be an optical illusion from the way the picture was taken however.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. I just read my post again and I should have said "downward" and not forward.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bowmike

i moved the scope forward and at 2.5x I can not see the barrel. i guess it is a non issue as long as i can just focus on the turkey and not be distracted.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The seeing the barrel will more than likely depend on how low the power is on the scope.  The lower power scope typically will have a wider field of view.  So on a 4 fixed power 32mm scope you won't see your barrel like you will on a scope that has a 2.5-4x32mm.