turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New turkey gun!!

Started by dawgfrombama, June 02, 2013, 11:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawgfrombama

Finally getting my new gun together.  I've been using a Browning BPS NWTF model since 2005.  I absolutely love this gun.  Over the last year I really starting to notice some "battle scars".  Some of the camo finish has come off the edges so I decided to get a new gun and hunt with both.  The BPS is just to nice for me to let it run down. 

I really wanted a Win. 1300 NWTF gun that was made in the late 80' s early 90's.  I've looked and cannot find one.  I really like all those "old school" turkey guns of the 80's and 90's that had wood stocks and short barrels.  Don't know why but I do.  So I decided if I couldn't find one, I would build one.

For the last several months every time I went to the local gun shops or Bass Pro etc., I would look at Remington 870's.  I could just never come off the cash and buy one.  The other day I was in Walmart with my son in the sporting good section, and noticed one in the gun case.  I initially said I'm not buying a gun from Walmart. Then I noticed the price of $289 and said "to heck with it" and bought it.  Then I found a turkey barrel online.  Not sure if it would fit the 870 express because it has a 3.5 in chamber,  I called Remington and was told it would fit all 870 receivers.  I ordered it and when it arrived, right on the package it listed all the recievers it would fit. 

The barrel fit perfect and has a Rem Hevi Shot choke in it. I will most likely get a Jelly Head if I cant get a good pattern with the factory choke.  I just have to order swivels and a sling and I'm good to go.  Cant wait till March/April of 2014.

tomstopper

Nice. Right up until this year all I used was my Win. 1300 ( not the NWTF version though). I kinda felt guilty for not using it this year...

davisd9

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gophert

Endless possibilities with the 870!  Put a knoxx pistol stock on it and it will be a head roller for sure.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo LTE

beagler

Never Misses

eddie234

Nice. I love my Winchester 1300. I don't think I'll ever give it up.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2

SCDieselDawg

I love my 870s, but I recently picked up a Mossy 835 that's gonna be my main gun from now on. I can tell you from firsthand experience the .660 JH is a excellent choke in the 870s. 

Oh and my Dad has one of them Win. 1300 NWTF shotguns. He's probably only put a few shells through it. He refuses to hunt with it, says its a safe queen.

dawgfrombama

I've had several people tell me the 660 JH is the way to go.  Those ole 1300's with laminate stocks and 22 in bbl will reach out and touch one.  So far I like the 870 and like the 23 in bbl. I think it looks cool :you_rock: