OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hevi clear/white hulls

Started by owlhoot, June 02, 2013, 10:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

does anyone know the velocity of the old hevi loads in the clear/white hulls?
3" 1  3/4 0z. loads.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: owlhoot on June 02, 2013, 10:12:31 AM
does anyone know the velocity of the old hevi loads in the clear/white hulls?
3" 1  3/4 0z. loads.

They were originally loaded to be 1090 f.p.s.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

owlhoot

:thanks:   they sure pattern great, the 6 shot . and recoil is so low.
i have only seen 1 box of 6 shot , roll crimp.
The 4 shot don't do well, clear hull but starcrimp, same box.
bought them both years ago.

allaboutshooting

The OW shells loaded by Jay Menefee at Polywad had Fiocchi hulls. I shot a lot of the #6 shot and as you said they were more like shooting a Winchester AA than a turkey load. Hardly any recoil, low noise but threw excellent patterns.

That was the most popular still target round with all shooters. You could shoot them all day and not be punchy. At the World Championship at that time, we shot from 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on Saturday and 8:00 a.m. until we'd crowned a champion in all the divisions on Sunday, usually 5:00 or 6:00 p.m. Anything that reduced the wear and tear on the body was welcomed.

Now we only shoot for 2 days from 8:00 a.m. until about 6:30 p.m. each day but we're shooting a round about every 10 minutes, so low recoil is still a major factor.

I also shot the #4 and #5 shot versions of that shell. The #5s were just fine for killing turkeys and the #4s worked well on geese. I think I may still have some of the #5s and a few of the #4s.

Thanks,
Clark

owlhoot

:thanks:
a round every 10 minutes, that would make a big difference.
i volunteered to shoot 4 guns in an afternoon,mine and some friends.Pattern, test choke tubes and set scopes with 3 1/2 shells we used back then.
Got them all done if i remember right. I think.
(TOO MANY 3 1/2 LOADS REARRANGE YOUR THOUGHT PROCESSES)

allaboutshooting

I do understand.

Thanks,
Clark

SpursNbeards

Used to shoot the clear hull hevi 13 6's out of a beretta and the tru glo .665 turkey choke. Amazing patterns. One of the best set ups I've had over the years. If I could find several boxes of the 3 " clear hulls I would order a tru glo choke tomorrow.

owlhoot

shot a benneli super, old hk ,carltons ported tube ,also amazing.
me too on the shells. Polywad no longer loading?

surehuntsalot

locked away in the safe are 30rds of #6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

allaboutshooting

Quote from: owlhoot on June 02, 2013, 10:37:54 PM
shot a benneli super, old hk ,carltons ported tube ,also amazing.
me too on the shells. Polywad no longer loading?

Polywad is still loading lots of different shells just not shells for Environ-Metal manufacturers of Hevi-Shot products. E-M went in house many years ago to load their own shells.

Thanks,
Clark

owlhoot

hey TSS loaded by any one yet?

BandedSpur

Quote from: owlhoot on June 02, 2013, 11:23:36 PM
hey TSS loaded by any one yet?

No. I wouldn't expect it either. Too expensive. Nitros would be cheap by comparison.

SgtUSMC

Do you guys know how to tell if you have the 13cc Hevi or the 12?  I found an old box of 10 3.5 / 1.75 / 6 that I'm picking up shortly.

WildSpur

I am guessing but I think hull color could indicate.  I think the switch was when the hulls were bronze.  If they are red, green, or white you might have true 13.  I am sure Clark would know.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

allaboutshooting

Quote from: SgtUSMC on June 04, 2013, 09:45:31 AM
Do you guys know how to tell if you have the 13cc Hevi or the 12?  I found an old box of 10 3.5 / 1.75 / 6 that I'm picking up shortly.

"Hevi-13" was originally established as a brand name to differentiate the shot used in turkey loads from that used in waterfowl loads. The turkey shot was moly-coated and branded as "Hevi-13" and the waterfowl shot was not moly-coated and branded as Hevi-Shot. The exact weight of the Hevi-13 shot has varied over the years, with some closer to 13 gr/cc and some closer to 12 gr/cc. At some point, all of the shot was moly-coated.

I was fortunate enough to be allowed to evaluate some of the prototype OW shells and then to be able to shoot hundreds of them. I've also shot each iteration of the Hevi-13 products over the years. I've seen the changes take place, different colors of hulls, different shot weight loadings, etc. through the now standard "Bronze" and "Gold" hull products.

Some shot better than others over the years. The red hulled 3" shells and the green hulled 3.5" shells were certainly not my favorites but the current production shells are the most consistent I've shot.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark