turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Winchester SXP ?

Started by Onpoint, May 30, 2013, 02:00:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

I've had an itch to get a new turkey gun. Ive had a few over the years. Started out 20 years ago with a Remington model 1100 with a 30" full choked barrel. Let me tell ya that was a lot of gun for a 7 year old to hold up but I killed birds with it every year until I was 13 when I got 870 special purpose 3". I've still got that gun and this year it was my go to rig. I've had several others over the years... 835's. 3.5" 870's, a stoeger 2000 that I absolutely loved and killed a ton of turkeys with but the thing would only cycle shells about half the time. Anyhow that ole 870 is not exactly light, I don't know what makes I so heavy but I got my wife a newer 870 express 12 with a 21" barrel and it is a lot nicer to pack that gun up n I'd much rather pack her gun up n down hills than mine. I' was thinkin about going to a 20 and I still like to but I'm not setup for reloading and with this thing about federal maybe not producing the heavyweights anymore I think I'm gonna hold off on the 20 for now. Plus I got a a Stockpile of 12 gauge turkey loads.
I've looked at m2's and encores, franchi affinity, and so far the best feeling gun I've handled is the M2 20. But im bout to be off work for quite a while (shoulder surgery next Thursday) and u really can't afford to to drop 1300 right now. Plus I think im gonna stick with a 12 til I get setup to reload. I haven't held one yet but I come across the Winchester SXP online. Fairly lightweight at 6.75lbs in a 3". Backbored chrome lined barrel So id say she'll shoot good. Not to crazy about the safety being in the front of the trigger gaurd. If I wasn't a lefty it wouldn't be a big deal. Growing up shooing right handed guns I' adapted quite well to the backwards safety but my "technique" won't work to well with the safety in the front I the trigger guard. Do y'all know If the safety is reversible on this gun or I there is an aftermarket lh safety available for this gun?  Im gonna definitely handle one n see how it feels. The price is certainly fair enough on em'. If it feels good and I can do
Somethin about the safety, I might just have a new project in my hands.

davisd9

I have found where the SX3 safety is reversable but have found nothing about it being so on the SXP.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Onpoint

Just went n looked at one. It didn't feel bad, but it ain't no M2

gatrkyhntr70

Ive had two of the sxp gun's; they have some great features on them. I especially like the ,742 bore;they patterned great and are a super fast pump. But when comparing them to a M2 your not going to find anything close to it. A buddy of mine bought the m2 in 12 ga. a few years ago and ever since then Ive been through so many guns trying to find a cheaper alternative, There isnt one, Do yourself a favor and get the m2 and save yourself the frustration.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

hookedspur

Quote from: Onpoint on May 30, 2013, 03:23:33 PM
Just went n looked at one. It didn't feel bad, but it ain't no M2
Exactly ,Nothing feels better than a M2
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

owlhoot

Shot one of these a month ago ,(short barrel) 24"? Patterned it for a good friend with the factory tube and my X2 stardot.
shot it with win xr 3" 6's , win 3" hv 5's, win xr 2 3/4" 6's. nothing over 80 in the 10".
the trigger(on his anyway) was to say the least?????? Try before you buy.
seemed to recoil a lot too?
he took his old black shadow 1300 out to get his turkey next day.
Would like to talk him out of the win cam with the turkeys on the receiver though!

owlhoot

what chokes and loads please.

thanks

allaboutshooting

The safety is not reversible on that gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."