turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help setting up a 20ga turkey gun.

Started by Hevishot #6, May 29, 2013, 01:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hevishot #6

I am a veteran turkey hunter, who is looking to step down to a 20ga, to bag my birds. Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated. My current turkey rig is a Remington SP 870 3" magnum in 12 ga. with a "Sure Shot" stock, rifled sights, custom trigger and an Indian Creek choke tube. I would love to set up a little 20 ga in the same configuration, but as you guys know it is hard to outfit a little twenty for an adult. I will be shooting Hevi shot, in 6's or 7's. Any advice, pro or con on 6's or 7's in the "little yellow" shells? I am seriously considering adding a scope to the rig as well. I am a die-hard Leopold man, but the Nikon Turkey Pro (1.65x 36 BTR) is very interesting. Is there anyone out there shooting this glass? Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You can dunk his head in the water, but all you have is a drown horse, and a long walk home......

SKFOOTER

I'd suggest posting this in the dedicated 20 gauge section.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Hevishot #6 on May 29, 2013, 01:15:03 PM
I am a veteran turkey hunter, who is looking to step down to a 20ga, to bag my birds. Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated. My current turkey rig is a Remington SP 870 3" magnum in 12 ga. with a "Sure Shot" stock, rifled sights, custom trigger and an Indian Creek choke tube. I would love to set up a little 20 ga in the same configuration, but as you guys know it is hard to outfit a little twenty for an adult. I will be shooting Hevi shot, in 6's or 7's. Any advice, pro or con on 6's or 7's in the "little yellow" shells? I am seriously considering adding a scope to the rig as well. I am a die-hard Leopold man, but the Nikon Turkey Pro (1.65x 36 BTR) is very interesting. Is there anyone out there shooting this glass? Thanks in advance for any help that is offered.

Doris and I shoot 20 gauge guns in both competition and for hunting. We've learned a few things over the years about those guns.

I'll just share a few things that have proved to be true for us and after observing other 20 gauge shooters for the last 13 years in areas all over the U.S.

A 26" barrel seems about perfect for the 20 gauge. You gain little with longer ones, some reduced muzzle whip and maybe a few more pellets in your circle of choice but you really start to lose patterning ability and increase muzzle whip when you go with a barrel shorter than that length.

They can be a bit more finicky that 12s and it's really important to learn if your particular barrel likes to be clean, slightly dirty or really dirty to shoot to its potential. There's a process that I use and can share if you're interested.

I would strongly recommend that you replace the factory stock with the ATI AKITA adjustable hunting stock. It allows length to pull adjustments from 12 3/8" to 14 3/8", you can adjust the comb height and the recoil pad is the best that I've seen on any shotgun stock. Being able to fit the gun to your measurements can make all the difference in the world.

You are looking at the best shells for those guns in my experience. I have my preferences for chokes but there are several good ones.

I shoot mainly Leupold scopes but the Truglo Maxus Hunting scope with extended eye relief is really hard to beat in overall quality, warranty and price. I've had them on 3 guns for over 3 years now and can attest to their toughness and light transmission.

I could go on and on but that's probably enough to digest at one time.

I really like those 20s so please let me know if I can be of help.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

FL-Boss

I too just had a similar 12ga...  Rem 11-87 Sureshot turkey mag that I just got 4 months ago. It was a sweet gun. But like you I also was thinking more a more about a nice 20ga. So I took the plunge just got a Mossberg SA-20 Turkey Thug auto with a truglo sight mounted ( like a fast fire)

This thing is light, already drilled and tapped and comes with a pict rail.  The balance and feel of the gun is real nice.  With a Sumtoy choke I'm shooting 170+ with Federal HW #7.  I can tell you already I will never go back to a 12ga.

remmy1187

I have used my 11-87 sportsman 12 gauge that I put a shur shot stock on for the last 6 or 7 years.  I have also an 870 with an ATI stock so my kids and girlfriend and myself can use it.  I really like the 20 gauge but have always had a preference for the semi's, so I bought a 20 gauge 11-87 sportsman and I also found a 20 gauge shur shot stock from a member of the forum, just got to send it out to get dipped to match my gun and it will be a match to my 12 gauge.  This little 20 gauge shoots extremely well with federal hwt 7's, hevi shot 7's, and my handload of hevi 7's with a .555 IC.  I must say I love this gun and it will be really hard to pick up that 12 gauge and use it for turkey's again.  As for the Nikon btr scopes I do believe they have been discontinued and may be hard to find.  I have been looking into a Leupold VX-1 1-4 with the turkey reticle for right around 200 bucks, looks like a good turkey scope for the money.

WV Ridge Reaper

Clark,Thanks for your post,very helpful.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: WV Ridge Reaper on May 29, 2013, 09:02:33 PM
Clark,Thanks for your post,very helpful.

You are very welcome. I really like those 20s and will be of any help possible.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Hevishot #6

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. You can dunk his head in the water, but all you have is a drown horse, and a long walk home......