OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Humidity and Pot Call Probs

Started by jims, May 28, 2013, 05:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I recently bought a crystal pot call that I tried out yesterday in Nebraska.  I've had no problem here in Colo but for some reason had problems in Nebraska.  It seemed like I needed to condition it every few hours or the striker wouldn't work.  It was super humid and I never got it wet.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I wonder if it was problems with the crystal or something happened with the striker in the super high humidity?  Thanks!

outdoors

WHAT KIND OF WOOD ,, THE STRIKER ,, THATS WHAT I THINK IT IS NOT THE CALL ITSELF ....
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

jims

I was using a woodhaven oak striker.  I was kind of dumb and didn't bring another striker.  Does that sound like the problem?

WillowRidgeCalls

Keep your striker in your shirt pocket, that will help you some. You can also chalk the tip of it to help also, and yes you'll have to condition a call a lot more in humid weather.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

strutnrut

get yourself an Aluminum pot with a fiberglass striker and you won't have this problem again. You can hunt in the pouring down rain with them.