turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

sighting in a turkey scope with cross hairs

Started by bowmike, May 28, 2013, 10:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

just bought The BSA Boss turkey scope for my 870 after this season. Here is the scope with the reticle as well.

I read the sticky thread at the top of the page about the red dot scope and was wondering if it will be the same. This scope has illuminated reticles as well. It has s center point, and two circles to help with distance knowledge. I am assuming that this will work the same as the sticky thread but wanted to be sure.

If I read the post right. I set up a target at 15 yards. Anchor the gun. Place a small aiming point or piece of tape on the back stop. I shoot at the target and see where I hit. I then without moving the gun. Move the crosshairs to where the hole of the pattern has hit. I replace the paper, or select a different area with no holes, and check the accuracy. Repeat this until the hole is hitting exactly where I aim.

Please let me know if I have read this right. This is a bit different then how I had imagined sighting in a scope. In my mind, if i hit low and left i would adjust my cross hairs on a rifle to high and to the right.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

Mike

redarrow

I think you got it. The hard part for me is anchoring the gun.Good luck. Nice looking sxcope. Let us know how it holds up to turkey loads.

wvcurlytop

You got it right.  We use the same method for zeroing in rifles as well. 

Good looking scope and let us know how it holds up..  I have the BSA slug hunter on mine, and I love it, but of course I'm always looking to upgrade.  Haha.  I like your reticle better.

bowmike

Thanks guys.

It will be coming in on Thursday a long with the tactical mount I had bought to go with it.  I will upload pictures of it once I get it assembled after my 870 gets a good cleaning. I think I may wait until my wife and son go on their Florida trip next week to sight it in. I want to really clean my 870 after a long and extreme weather changing season in PA. Do a total disassemble and re- assemble.

Cant wait to try it out, and I will let you know how it does. I have a BSA sweet 17 on my 17hmr and love that scope, it has never failed me, but then again a 17 has just a tad less recoil than a 3" mag.

vaturkey

Bowmike

Just remember when you first shoot it at 15 yds use cheap shells to get it dialed in & once you do that then you can pattern it with your turkey loads. There's no reason to waste the high dollar shells until your scope is zeroed in. 

Good Luck !!  vaturkey   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

Ridge Rooster

Sounds like you are right on track for getting it close. What I did, back when I used a scope for a while, was do just as you did at close range, then when I wanted to get the pattern centered at 40, I would draw a 10" circle then draw a 3" circle in the center. Draw cross hairs right down the center of the 10" and 3". Color the 3" so that it gives you a good visible aiming spot. Get your gun anchored good on a bench, and center your scope on the crosshairs on the target and squeeze off a round. Count all the pellets in each quadrant, that will show you how the pattern is centered and which way you need to adjust. I tried to get the quadrants as equal as possible. Others may do different methods, but this one worked for me.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters