OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey hunting over corn?

Started by bghunter777, May 22, 2013, 09:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bghunter777

How many here do it? I personally could not imagine just waiting at a feeder for turkeys to show up but again am not one to judge someone elses methods. As the saying says Corn turns anyone into a turkey hunter!

snapper1982

mikejd

Its not even  legal to feed wildlife here in NY.

To an extent its unfortunate because so many people do it it really affects the guys who don't.
I mean if your neihbor has feeders out even though its illeagal you have no game on your property. This is a constant battle for me. People say well then you should do it and that's not a legit answer.

My opinion on it is of you want to use bait, go fishing.

I also live in NJ but actually do less hunting here because there is 100lbs of corn under every tree.
JMHO  but that's not hunting. Were is the actual hunt. I mean I can shoot paper targets all day long.

TauntoHawk

It removes every piece of turkey hunting and replaces it with harvesting.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mikejd

Quote from: TauntoHawk on May 22, 2013, 10:39:10 AM
It removes every piece of turkey hunting and replaces it with harvesting.

I would rather never bring home another bird for the fryer then take away what makes this sport my favorite.

magicman

Quote from: mikejd on May 22, 2013, 10:34:55 AM

To an extent its unfortunate because so many people do it it really affects the guys who don't.
I mean if your neihbor has feeders out even though its illeagal you have no game on your property. This is a constant battle for me. People say well then you should do it and that's not a legit answer.

I also live in NJ but actually do less hunting here because there is 100lbs of corn under every tree.
JMHO  but that's not hunting. Were is the actual hunt. I mean I can shoot paper targets all day long.
I'm struggling with this myself. Every bird we kill that comes from a certain neighbor has so much corn in it, it's pathetic. While we are having to work our tails off just to hear a bird.....they are carrying birds over their shoulders, laughing and slapping each other on the back when you drive by their camp....frustrating. Oh and it's illegal here in Tennessee.

mikejd

Quote from: magicman on May 27, 2013, 06:24:59 AM
Quote from: mikejd on May 22, 2013, 10:34:55 AM

I'm struggling with this myself. Every bird we kill that comes from a certain neighbor has so much corn in it, it's pathetic. While we are having to work our tails off just to hear a bird.....they are carrying birds over their shoulders, laughing and slapping each other on the back when you drive by their camp....frustrating. Oh and it's illegal here in Tennessee.

Its tough. I deal with it with deer and turkeys. In two different places. If it was leagal it would be fine because We could counter it. even if we did not want to hunt over bait we could draw them to the land.

Onpoint

If I had to throw out corn to kill a turkey id quit huntin. It's illegal here in Kentucky and I'm surrounded by baiters.   For a few years I knew that's what was going on. To many mornings of birds going to the exact same place every single day. Like I said I knew what was goin on, but I couldn't take it any more sink walked over there and sure enougg, they had enough wheat seed out to feed an army of turkeys. I just don t see the sport or the fun in that. We still fill our tags "legally." We just have to work for em a little more. Those farms were red hott for 20+ years and now I get on more birds hunting public ground than i do there. I bet the hardest part of these guys hunt is gettin all their seed in there. It's truly pathetic If ya ask me. 

GobbleNut

It is illegal to hunt over bait here in New Mexico, as well.  I guess the obvious question to you fellas that know that your neighbors are killing turkeys over illegally baited areas is why are you not turning those guys into the authorities?  If I saw it happening here, I would go get the local game warden and personally take him to the place where I saw this happening.  Bottom line is, if it is illegal, why are you putting up with it?!

sixbird

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 27, 2013, 12:17:28 PM
It is illegal to hunt over bait here in New Mexico, as well.  I guess the obvious question to you fellas that know that your neighbors are killing turkeys over illegally baited areas is why are you not turning those guys into the authorities?  If I saw it happening here, I would go get the local game warden and personally take him to the place where I saw this happening.  Bottom line is, if it is illegal, why are you putting up with it?!

Well said!
The other idea I would entertain is to have a feeder set up to even things out (keep birds on your property) but don't hunt anywhere near it (if you have the acreage). I know it's a poor second option but it may keep birds away from them...

magicman

You have to worry about retaliation. I was apart of a lease that had cabins burnt to the ground by a guy they turned in. My house isn't worth a turkey. I have been in contact with local warden...you have to be careful about though. You never know who you are dealing with.

mikejd

Quote from: magicman on May 27, 2013, 11:10:59 PM

You have to worry about retaliation. I was apart of a lease that had cabins burnt to the ground by a guy they turned in. My house isn't worth a turkey. I have been in contact with local warden...you have to be careful about though. You never know who you are dealing with.

Same here. Were I hunt I have a small camp and I'm only there what about 20 or so days a year. It wouldn't take much to ruin my place.

GobbleNut

So,....what happened to the guy that burned the cabins?  Was he prosecuted?  Did he go to jail and have to pay to have the cabins rebuilt?  If nothing happened to the guy through the legal system, why not?

I don't know about your situation, but I think people fear the idea of retaliation for something more than the real threat of it occuring.  Perhaps an anonymous note to the individuals letting them know that shooting game over bait it illegal and that they need to stop doing it would suffice.  If that doesn't work, then turn them in anonymously to the authorities.  They will eventually get the hint that there are folks around that do not like what they are doing.

If they are the very rare types that would take something like this to the next level, I would subtly let them know that if they want to be the Hatfields, that I am perfectly willing to be the McCoys.  ....Sometimes some subtle hints will get the message across that baiting turkeys is not worth it.

mikejd

Here in ny there is no anonymous calls. DEC cannot do anything unless you will come forth give your name and phisically say that I saw the bait. They have no grounds to be on that persons property without the complaint. An anonymous is not concidered a complaint. Already tried it. It was about deer and not turkeys.

magicman

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 28, 2013, 09:03:21 AM

So,....what happened to the guy that burned the cabins?  Was he prosecuted?  Did he go to jail and have to pay to have the cabins rebuilt?  If nothing happened to the guy through the legal system, why not?

I don't know about your situation, but I think people fear the idea of retaliation for something more than the real threat of it occuring.  Perhaps an anonymous note to the individuals letting them know that shooting game over bait it illegal and that they need to stop doing it would suffice.  If that doesn't work, then turn them in anonymously to the authorities.  They will eventually get the hint that there are folks around that do not like what they are doing.

If they are the very rare types that would take something like this to the next level, I would subtly let them know that if they want to be the Hatfields, that I am perfectly willing to be the McCoys.  ....Sometimes some subtle hints will get the message across that baiting turkeys is not worth it.

Again, I am in contact with the local wildlife resource agency officer. My point is you have to be careful. If you don't think people will retaliate, you are mistaking. Do you live on the land you hunt? Do you have little children (under 5 years old) to worry about when the idiot does something stupid? I have a friend who's cousin was murdered over property lines. If it's that important to you, that someone is hunting over corn, go for it. Do what you have to do. I like my house and my family being comfortable where we live. The guy that burnt the cabin did get arrested. He got his slap on the wrist and was back out there causing trouble the next year. If you truely understand the Hatfields and McCoy's...nobody won anything in their battles.