turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Two more hunts

Started by Thebody, May 14, 2013, 12:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thebody

I just received approval to hunt this Friday and Saturday (got Friday off).  So last time I was there I got busted by a hen and lost a shot on a nice Tom, but I recovered and was able to call in a Jake after noon (now legal in MD till the 23rd) and enjoyed watching him strut, but despite hating his big brother, gave him a pass.  Heard three in the am, but it was light and I didn't chance getting too far in the woods.  I wish i could have roosted them, but I have family obligations that take priority.  I have training all next week in SC so I will miss the last couple of days.   

So I'm going to try and get to these birds real early and hopefully get em before the hens do.  Seems like they are all still with hens even late in the day.  I'm hoping to put another one on the board, but either way I have had a good season and witnessed some of the Lord's amazing creations.

This was my first time ever joining a Team for a season and it added some fun after the hunt.  Be safe brothers!   
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Twowithone

09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

Good luck man!! Schwack a big un!!

Hayudog

Good luck.  Sounds like there's a good one out there waiting....get 'um.

Thebody

It wasn't meant to be, but i still had a good season anyway.

Friday about 2:30 I saw a lone gobbler in the field adjacent to where I hunt as I was driving in.  There was a tractor plowing on the other side of a wood finger and trucks were parked on the side of the road.  For the heck of it i decided to call to him.  He was about 200 yards from me and I literally watched his head turn white and he started to strut and head my way.  He didn't get far before he smelled a rat and he got outta there.  I was pumped to get to my lease and I walked a lot and sat a lot.  Heard nothing and saw nothing, it was about 80 so I was wore out. 

Too tired to drive so I slept in the truck to get ready for the next day.  At 5:30 I heard 4 on the roost, but they were on another property owned by a church and at least 400 yards away.  At 630 gobbling stopped for a bit except for a stray gobble here or there.  I sat tight calling lightly every so often and I picked up a bird about 200 yards and closing.  He hung up at 100 at wouldn't budge, I thought about moving back away, but opted to stay put.  I heard nothing for the next couple of hours.  The rain came in and I called it a season at 1:30. 

1 bird in NY on May 3rd
1 bird in Maryland on April 18th
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Hayudog

Good hunts.  Sounded like you made the best of your situation.  Saved a few for next year.  ;-)

RutnNStrutn

Well, you gave it your best shot! And you got one more than me!! Congrats on a good season!! :icon_thumright:

WildSpur

Good job this year!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less