OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Methods and Strategy books

Started by jims, May 12, 2013, 08:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I know this is the age of the internet but was wondering if there are any books available for "modern-age" turkey hunting methods, strategies, and calling techniques?  I'm trying to learn everything I can before next spring!  I wish there were turkeys close to where I live so I could learn about them..."in the field" but unfortunately that isn't possible.  I've learned a great deal about muledeer, elk, mtn goat, moose, and bighorns  over the years by watching and videoing they're habits...and am looking forward to turkeys!

WildTigerTrout

Here are two words that should never come up in any discussion about wild turkeys, "always" and "never".  :TooFunny: Seriously there are many books out there devoted to hunting Ben Franklin's favorite bird. Many may be older but the info contained in them is as good as ever. Good luck. Once you start hunting turkeys you will NEVER stop. ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

beardwacker

Ray Eye, has two great book's  that I highly recommend.  Midwest turkey has few good ones too.

howl

Modern-age? You mean like how to sit on a chufa plot and flip the tail on a stuffed bird? I don't know about any of that. If you want a primer on killing turkeys find a copy of "Turkey Hunting: A One Man Game" by Kenny Morgan. "The Old Pro Turkey Hunter" by Gene Nunnery would do you good, too.

Scpossum

Knight and Hale had a book a few years back that was very informative- I think it was called the Ultimate Spring?. 

Anything Lovett Williams puts out is good. 

Henry Davis' book is from 1940's but a classic (buy the reprint).

The Old Pro Turkey Hunter is very good by Gene Nunnery.

Go to Knight and Hale's website and buy the Spittin Feathers II cd for 2.99 - just saw it on there.  I have the first ones put out and it will teach you all about calling.  Not sure about the latest cd's, but the original Spittin Feathers was almost as good as being in the woods under the tree.

wmd

I think "A Fork in the Road" by Tom Kelly is a pretty good one.

http://www.tomkellyinc.net/catalog/

miro15

Thanks... I'm looking for some good books too!

eddie234

The two I've got are ray eye's practical turkey hunting strategies and Brian lovett's hunting pressured turkeys. Have Tom Kelley's tenth legion on the kindle but haven't read it yet.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk 2