News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help Setting Up New Gun

Started by mcharlton, March 08, 2011, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcharlton

Hey guys ...

Picked up a Browning Invector BPS 12 Gauge NWTF Edition ... Has Invector, Impoved Modified, Full, Plus Full Chokes ...

I have always shot Remington Nitro Turkey shells in the past ... But am open to change as well.

Should I stick with one of the chokes that I have? ... Or should I go with something like a Jelly Head, etc?

As far as shells (I know I need to pattern it!) ... but would you guys stick with the Remington Nitros or try something else (I was thinking maybe trying the Hevishot?) ... Also, would you go straight for the 3 1/2's ... or try some 3"??

Thanks in advance guys!!!
-Michael

ILIKEHEVI-13

Mike to ring that gun out you will need a good turkey choke with a exit diameter of .670 or .675.  Indian Creek and Pure Gold are probably the most popular. 

I would feed it Hevi-13 3.5" 2 and 1/4oz #7's if you want the densest patterns.   

mcharlton

Thanks for the reply ... As far as the Hevishot goes, do you guys like a straight up shot #, or do you like the Hevishot Magnum Blend??

Any other recommendations on a choke tube?

VAHUNTER

personally i shoot  Hevi13 #6's but you need to get your choke and spend a little time on the bench to find what you like or what your gun likes the best. i shot the Rem. Nitro's for a few years. never had a problem killing birds with them. but once i seen the results of Hevi13 there was no looking back.

Congrats on the new rig  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
with a little time you will be posting great patterns with big #'s
Good things come to those who wait

mcharlton

I agree with you 100% ... I need to get it out and try some different loads.  So as far as a choke, what do you guys think I should pick up? (Or pick up first I guess I should say ... LOL)

VAHUNTER

Quote from: mcharlton on March 08, 2011, 09:49:17 PM
I agree with you 100% ... I need to get it out and try some different loads.  So as far as a choke, what do you guys think I should pick up? (Or pick up first I guess I should say ... LOL)
.670 Pure Gold  :icon_thumright:

mcharlton

Thanks buddy ... Now my next question ... Where's the best place to get a choke? (Is there a better place than Cabela's, etc?)

honker22

Online, straight from the manufacturer.  If you get a PG or IC, they will replace the choke until you find the right combo.  Try the Plus Full choke you have and see what you get.  You may be surprised and it could save you a good bit of $. 

Then again, you will not be dissapointed and will "probably" get better patterns with an aftermarket choke... just don't put your plus full out of the question.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

redleg06

If I was only getting one choke, my first try would always be a Pure Gold.  They seem to be very consistent in all the guns Ive tried them in. 

mcharlton

Good deal guys ... thanks a lot for your imput ... I really appriciate it!!

mcharlton

I'm going to pick up a Pure Gold .670 ... but now I have a really stupid question.  I was thinking of trying the Hevi Shot Mag Blend of 5,6 & 7 shot ... but the Pure Gold says it will handle 4,5 & 6 shot ... Since #7 shot is not listed, should I not shoot the Mag Blend with that choke? .... Should I just go with Hevishot straight 6??

I'm going to try both 3" & 3 1/2" out of her ... How bad should I expect the 3 1/2" to kick? ...

Thanks for answers all of my stupid, repetitive questions boys!!

-Michael

mcharlton

runngun

PURE GOLD, will shoot the mag blends or 6s or 7s
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

mcharlton

Ok thanks buddy ... I'm actually hoping one of the Hevishot's pattern well in 3" ... It would be nice to not have to deal with the extra recoil of the 3 1/2's

VAHUNTER

Quote from: mcharlton on March 08, 2011, 10:06:27 PM
Thanks buddy ... Now my next question ... Where's the best place to get a choke? (Is there a better place than Cabela's, etc?)
www.gameacc.net
you can also send progunner (aka Bill) on here a PM . he is the maker of Pure Gold