turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wyoming Success 2

Started by WyoHunter, May 07, 2013, 05:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHunter

I had a great morning..... and now the rest of the story.
My Tuesday ritual is breakfast at Perkins reading the newspaper. After accomplishing this I came home and changed into my turkey hunting clothes, gathered up my vest, grabbed Baby Beretta (391 Urika 20 ga.) and some Fed. Hwt. 7's and took off for a small piece of public grounds on the backside of Casper Mountain. I would check to see if the snow had melted and if so I would try to fill my left over tag I bought for this area. As I drove in and parked I was glad to see no snow but a road runs thru it and it was churned to dust. Road hunters I suspect as I've never seen anyone WALKING in this area because of the steep draws and rough, rocky terrain. I got out of the truck and started down an old cattle path along side the main draw. I called but no answer so I went another 75 yards and called again. A faint gobble came from the other side of the draw a couple hundred yards away.
This bird gobbled no less than 15 times as I climbed down the steep sides of the draw and then up the other side. I cautiously came up out of the draw and sat against an old log. I called and a hen started yelping at me and then more gobbles. After positioning Baby Beretta where I thought he would show I saw the hen come up over the top of the shallow draw they were in. She yelped and he gobbled as she walked within ten yards of me. She kept moving past me and yelping and then I saw the top of his fan and then his red head appeared on the edge of the main draw. I slowly moved my barrel in his direction as he gobbled in my face at 10 yards! After he cleared a couple of leg size limbs on the log where I was sitting he met Baby Beretta and Mr. Federal. It was a great hunt and one I'll always remember even though it only lasted an hour.  Short but very sweet!
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Spring Creek Calls

Congrats,  gotta love those flash hunts.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

alloutdoors

Congrats, sounds like a great hunt!

DirtNap647

beagler

Never Misses

boomer

slamman

good looking Merriams congrats.

Gold Spur

Congrats on a beautiful bird! :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

spaightlabs

Well done sir!  Deep respect for doing it on your schedule and doing it well!

JVA54

ElkTurkMan

Congrats on #2 and on agreat hunt

TRKYHTR

Congrats on a nice gobbler.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

MAKEemQUIVER

Go Big Blue!!!!!!

tomstopper

eman375

No complaints with a quick, successful hunt.  They make up for the many we have to grind out.  Great bird.  Congratulations!