Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Team in the Woods

Started by FullChoke, May 06, 2013, 10:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FullChoke

If my list is correct, we should now have all of our team mates either fully involved in hot pursuit of Tom, or sitting on the sidelines cheering you fellers on. For those of us with the season getting smaller in the rear view mirror, please take a few minutes to do a brief recap of the season and tell us what went right and what went wrong. Many, many hunters experienced the worst turkey season of their lives this year, almost completely due to ObamaCare.  :OGturkeyhead:  :thanks:

Feel free to tap into the combined experiences and woodmanship of your team to help sort it out, if possible.

For those still slipping silently through the shadows, tell us what you are facing out there in your woods.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

I have learned one thing this year....don't set up TOO CLOSE to the birds.  I have scared the same 2 gobblers off the roost 3 times.  I am in our last week and will be trying to get Leah one more bird. The last two weeks have been the best for turkeys in middle TN.  However, yesterday I didn't hear a thing gobble.  I saw the big daddy (he was in my friends yard when I pulled up to park), but I just couldn't shoot him in the yard without some chase involved.  My season may be done, unless a double presents itself.  Good luck everyone.  We need desperately to get some birds on the scoreboard. 

Tim

jakesdad

This years MO season was very odd to say the least.Cold,hot,windy,and rainy.......sometimes all in the same day.Birds acted funny all season.didnt seem to want to work with calls much at all.Saw lots of hens still in groups;same with the gobblers.Couple of day s had hens in a group at end of field and a group of gobblers on the other and they didnt pay any more attention to each other than the man on the moon!This was one of the more difficult seasons ive had to deal with,but still was able to take one nice bird the second day(in a pouring rain).was pretty much all downhill from there.will start chasin again October 1!!!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

I severely bruised a metatarsal bone in my left foot a week ahead of the season, so I was quite limited as to how far I could travel from the vehicle. The woods were 3 weeks behind schedule in central MS this year, but I still found some birds gobbling good on public land not far from the house. Oddly, I did not have to contend with another hunter in the woods all year. Between gas prices, a hurt foot and the eventual shutting down of gobbling, I had to do the best I could. I did get to hunt with Surehuntsalot (Steve) this year again and although we did "work" a gobbling bird, when he hit the ground he vanished, which is par for the course for the birds he hunts. I should have gotten #2 in Alabama, but there was this 3 strand barbed wire fence that could have just as well have been a brick wall, as far as I was concerned. It was fun to get him up there and he was definitely in range of The Angel of Death (TSS handloads), so for all practical purposes he was dead, but I can't score an un-dead bird, so dang.

I still had a ball this season. I have said it before, I love this magnificent sport.

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

FullChoke