OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 and 4 shot choke opinions please

Started by chaz_Z7, May 05, 2013, 10:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaz_Z7

I'm looking for suggestions for my rem 870 sps turkey gun. Going to try #4 shot in hevy shot and extended range Winchester. Looking for choke constriction to get me started.      Thanks guys

ILIKEHEVI-13

Heck I would skip the 4's and go to either 6's or 7's.  And then try a choke from .655 to say .675 in chokes like Indian Creek, Pure Gold would be a great place to start.  The Hevi-Shot chokes made by Carlson's I am hearing nothing but great things about them.  And they are priced right.  Clark on here sell them for about $50.  I have a new Hevi-Shot Rem .662 choke, but haven't shot it yet.  Another good choke that seems to shoot good in Rem barrels is the old Rem Ventilator .655.  But if your intent on shooting #4 shot, that will be too tight.  Larger shot like more open chokes say at least .670 to .680.  But I know it will shoot 6's and 7's in Hevi-Shot well. 

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/956890.htm

SCDieselDawg

I just shot a 3.5" Federal #4 through a Remington xtra full at 40 yds it was quite dismal. Posting only 74 hits in the 10" circle.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on May 06, 2013, 11:29:33 AM
I just shot a 3.5" Federal #4 through a Remington xtra full at 40 yds it was quite dismal. Posting only 74 hits in the 10" circle.

I hated that choke tube.  That's the same choke that came with my original wood stock 870 Express turkey gun.  That choke was lousy regardless of what you shot.  I gave it away.  I remember I had a buddy, Larry, who used to blow about how his brother, Barry, 870 3" Express would tear a turkeys head off at 40yds or so.  I ask him what choke and he told me the Rem Xtra Full.  Heck I already knew that choke sucked.  I ask him to bring his brother's gun and choke to the shooting range and I told him my 870 would out shoot his brother's.  So at the time the closest shot at the range was 25yds.  So I said if your brother's gun will rip a turkey head off at 40yds, it should have no trouble beating my shotgun at 25yds, correct.  And he said that's right.  So we both were shooting the exact same turkey loads.  I forgot what they were.  I told him to go first.  We were shooting at a turkey target piece of copy paper.  I then shot my target and we compared them.  He was like I just can't believe it.  This gun used to shoot great and at a loss for words.  I made him and is gun walk to the truck with their tail between their legs.  LOL!

SCDieselDawg

I gotta admit though it liked the same shell in #5s. Putting up 115 which ain't too bad considering it is lead!  I only shot it cause its the only tube I've got that's not ported and I had a hand full of shells with FCWs in them so I gave it a chance. I gotta admit it surprised me with both loads.

gophert

Quote from: chaz_Z7 on May 05, 2013, 10:03:59 AM
Going to try #4 shot in hevy shot

My first question would be WHY???!!!!!!

Go buy you some #6 or #7 Hevi shot and then do a search in the pattern section for 870 and go buy the choke you like that fits your budget.  If most of the birds you kill are at 30 and under, it really isn't going to make a difference which choke you buy, but any good aftermarket choke in the .660-.665 range will probably do.   

surehuntsalot

Quote from: gophert on May 06, 2013, 12:58:20 PM
Quote from: chaz_Z7 on May 05, 2013, 10:03:59 AM
Going to try #4 shot in hevy shot

My first question would be WHY???!!!!!!

Go buy you some #6 or #7 Hevi shot and then do a search in the pattern section for 870 and go buy the choke you like that fits your budget.  If most of the birds you kill are at 30 and under, it really isn't going to make a difference which choke you buy, but any good aftermarket choke in the .660-.665 range will probably do.

the answer in my case to "why" is because a local mom and pop store had some hevishot 3" #4's marked down to $4.00 a box,couldn't pass it up.
they give me 90-100 hits with a .679 Truglo GS in my 835 =   dead bird all day long
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Punisher

I shoot 3.5/2/4 in the Extended Range through a Kick's .680/.685 and a CNC XXFull in a Win. SX2.  These shells will hold the pattern together farther than what you think.  Regardless of what others say it does not take 300/10" to kill a turkey.  Trust me these shells will absolutely wreck a turkey.  I am not saying there is anything wrong with shooting the smaller shot.  I started using them because they are always in stock and I got tired of searching everywhere for 6s or 7s and having to buy a case of shells at a time just so I would know I would have some after I got done testing chokes and sighting in guns.

FL-Boss

Skip all the bs....get hevi #7 and be done with it. Any jelly head choke is fine

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

GOLD HUNTER

Gobble!

No offense your probably old school, but when I hear people say they want to shoot #4s in lead or Hevi I think they are not concerned with optimizing their pattern and killing performance but just looking for that "one magic bb" to kill a turkey. #4s will kill farther then people should shoot but the pattern falls off so much faster that they are not worth shooting especially in the Hevi shot world.
I use a .665 Indian Creek with a 23" barrel on my 870SM. Best pattern with H13 3.5" #7s is 324 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. With this combo I have killed two birds at 56 yards and one at 53. Each time I misjudged the distance.
Here's what I would do in your case. You like Winchester ok shoot the extended range #6s. And for a choke.....well I'm partial to Indian Creek.....IMO a Jellyhead is the best bang for the buck......sumtoy and jebs are small guys that make good chokes......puregold is a big favorite......rhino chokes shoot good but I have heard their customer service can be sub par......get your self any of the above and you will have a gun that will put up good numbers at 50 yards IN THE EVENT YOU MISJUDGED A DISTANCE

bigbird

70 Plus pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards using number four shot to me is impressive, There aren't many pellets in a shell when you're using number fours, And if you hit a turkey with that many number 4 shot pellets it's going to far more damage than you can imagine!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: bigbird on May 21, 2013, 09:50:24 PM
70 Plus pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards using number four shot to me is impressive, There aren't many pellets in a shell when you're using number fours, And if you hit a turkey with that many number 4 shot pellets it's going to far more damage than you can imagine!

Not really what I would call impressive. Out of 870's I have owned I could never get any of them to pattern lead turkey load #4's well.  Now the Moss 835 and the Browning Gold 3.5 Semi would both shoot some very impressive lead 4 patterns.  But still only around 90 to 100.  Any shotgun that will shoot lead 4's at a true 40yds tape measured from tip of choke to target and get a true 90 to 100 pellets is probably in all reality going to be about as good as you can get.  I know there will be those that say they can get more, but I myself ain't seen it done consistently. 

blueridgegobbler

Go with a #6 hevi shot weighs what a #4 lead does and will out penetrate it hevi #4 will shoot completely thru a duck go with more pellets you will be more satisfied in the long run. The #7 hevishot will kill turkey everytime at 40 I just shoot 6 easier to find around here.