turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Push Pull Call?

Started by Colt6920, May 04, 2013, 11:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colt6920

Being new to turkey hunting, I have looked into the idea of a push pull caller.

Do any of you veterans have recommendations on which push pull call would serve a beginner well?

I appreciate your time and help.

pappy

my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Rope

Great choice Pappy. I have a cocobola that rocks too. These might be a little pricey to start out on. Depends on what you want to spend.
Freedom is NOT free

Colt6920

I have no doubt those are the best of the best push pull calls! I'm sure one day I could see myself spending that kind of money on a call, but for right now I am looking for something a little cheaper.

I would like to keep my first call under $40

It seems the following choices are readily available:

- Knight and Hale Tom Coffin
- Knight and Hale Witchy Woman
- Knight and Hale Ultimate Push-Pull
- RedHead RTX Purple
- HS Strut Push Button Yelper
- Moss Natural Tone Cedar Push Button
- Quaker Boy Easy Yelper

I have not heard any of these calls, so I have no idea which one to go with.

pappy

It is all about sound, quality costs, I have around twenty push pins in my collection out of all those only two actually sound like turkey, Shannon's is one and the other is one made by another custom call maker John Fine. The rest would probably call something, maybe a Kamikaze bird... but if you are serious about spending the amount you said, then i would advise you to do two things, hit Ebay, check out custom made p-p's there you may luck out and get one at a decent price, but check out the maker before you bid, see their history on call making and the results of their wares. Two, if you go to a store and buy, then if the package is able to be opened do that and play the call/s listen for what you are wanting to hear, then put it back in its package and go pay foo it. really in the end, buy quality and you will be better off in the long run.
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

M,Yingling

Try AJ Cassettes on ebay I got a few of his and they don't cost a whole lot an they are quality both single and double   
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Old Gobbler

Mine admittedly are pricey , but given the fact that I am putting a whole day into making just 1 call, its a good deal for a turkey hunter -I think they look quite nice , but the primary focus is leveling gobblers (sound) -- if ever you want one shoot me PM and I will discuss details -Its a pain to make them , Henry Ford would faint if he saw my workshop 

I normally will not comment on another makers push pins , but I will say this , I have yet to see one that had a synthetic/poly/plastic body that even sounded remotely good for a all-round caller - not saying it cant be done , but I've yet to see it - that right there wipes out 3/4 of the calls on the list - not saying it to cause trouble but rather I say that then you go and blow 24$ on a bookshelf adornment - bookshelf adornments start to add up after awhile - and in the end you have a collection of "looker" calls or stuff that is useless -

Push pins are like the bearded lady at the circus , a oddity - but one that works ridiculously well for hunting purposes -  over the last 20-30 years I just began using pushpins solely for the purpose of calling in gobblers into shotgun range ( hunting   )- Unlike most folks that have delegated push pins as a sideshow , or tried to turn it into a gimmick as a beginners call -  I actually almost always use push pins for hunting purposes , and have done so for a long time -as in, I eat my own cooking , 

Try them out first hand to see how they sound , or if possible have it played for you by the maker - and you should be fine

--Shannon

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Gawhitaker

Mow a few yards and get one of old gobblers

howl

I suggest first getting a CD with recordings of live wild hens so you know exactly how a turkey sounds. Then you can try some different ones until you find one that works. With the mass produced calls you may have to go through quite a few before you find one that works. You can literally go through every call on that aisle and find none or only one that actually sounds like a turkey.

Rope

??? With one of OG's calls,you don't have to go thru anymore calls.They work. Period!!
Freedom is NOT free