turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NY bird down

Started by Thebody, May 03, 2013, 03:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thebody

19.6 lbs, 10.5 inch beard, 1 1/8 & 1 inch spurs.  Details to follow, I'm driving back to MD.
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.  Mike Tyson

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Hayudog

Cograts- Looks like a nice tom.  Should score well too. 

WildSpur

Congrats!  Way to get it done.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

TURKEYWHACKER

Congrats on a fine bird

Thebody

Really tough 3 days of hunting up there.  I started on Wednesday hearing one bird on the roost at 5:30am.  He gobbled pretty good until around 6 and I heard some hens and it went silent.  I heard nothing till 10 or so and I got a response from some soft mouth calling from the Tom Teaser and some leaf scratching.  I though I had him coming in pretty good, but I was cut off or just led a bird in the wrong direction, he was shot on the bordering property about 150 yards from me.  Good day for them and bad for me.  I wasn't ready to hang it up so I went to another property and set up on a field.  I saw one hen who seemed slightly agitated with my calling and I heard a gobbler a ridge over, but it was almost noon and a no go.

Day two started in the woods bordering an apple orchard and old hay field.  I heard three birds on the roost, but just as the day before, they shut up as soon as they hit the ground.  I sat in place till 9 and decided to move to the field and see what might happen.  I called once in 30 minutes and 3 jakes showed up.  They were trying their best to strut, but it looked more like they were breeding.  I even saw one try to gobble, but nothing came out.  A few calls from the mouth call brought em in real close before they decided they smelled a rat and left.  I was proud of my camo and my arms were killing me from sighting in for practice.  I was hunting for the first time with a TrU Glo ghost ring sight.  After they left I worked the entire ridge over the next hour and a half, but it wasn't meant to be.  I left to get diesel for the tractor and food plot work and when I got back to the cabin I could hear one hammering on the ridge I had walked all over trying to drum one up.  I listened and sure enough he worked his way to the old hay field.  He gobbled till 2....and put on a good show.  I put my camo back on and walked the 400 yards to a good watching spot on a hill.

Day three I went back to the lease, but heard nothing.  I stayed until 9 glassing some fields and calling lightly and then decided to go back and  set up on the ridge I had heard the bird the day before on the other property.  I sat up and called twice in an hour but heard nothing so I decided to hit another ridge, right before standing a crow got one to gobble not 200 yards from me.  I thought he was coming in and I gave a yelp...he answered so I went silent.  Ten minutes is an eternity straining the eyes and then I heard him even further away...I was a little perplexed, but I had time to cut him off in the apple orchard.  I got there quick and set up.  Within 10 minutes I could see that two gobblers a jake and four hens were angling away and getting behind me.  I cut a little and here they came.  30 minutes later a bird was down.  And I still can't figure why they were still with hens.  I was really starting to question myself and my calling, but they were with the real thing. 

Well He shoulda armed himself if he's gonna decorate his saloon with my friend.  Will Munny

Twowithone

Way to go congrats on the gobbler :you_rock:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on a nice bird!! Way to hang in there 'til the last minute!! Were you hunting on public or private land?

Thebody

I have access to two spots, but one butts up to public land and gets a lot of pressure. 

RutnNStrutn

Gotcha. Either way, nice gobbler!! :icon_thumright: