OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best aftermarket choke

Started by turkeystrut, May 01, 2013, 08:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeystrut

Hey Guys,I  know this been talk about a lot, but I just want to purchase one choke.I have an Moss. 835 ulti mag with an 24 in. barrel.It is about 12 years old . I shoot the 3 1/2  no. 5 win. ext. range shells in it .I may shoot the no.6 with the new choke.I have heard a lot  about the INDIAN CREEK ,T G SSX ,PURE GOLD AND THE STAR DOT CHOKE.If  you was going to buy just one choke,which  one and why? :-\
gotta love the outdoors!

VAarrowslinger

It all depends on what you are tyring to accomplish. If you want high numbers in the densest 10" circle then I think the SSX is what you are looking for but if you want a good hunting pattern with fuller coverage at all distances than you will be better off with a more open choke with a constriction around .680 - .690 like the Jellyhead or a kicks. I have 2 835's and a 935 all set up differently. The one I grab more often has a Primos tightwad .690 shooting winchester extened's. It's proven at distances I dont care to mention.

spaightlabs

What are you shooting now and what kind of patterns do you get?

turkeystrut

For some reason my gun shoots high at 30  yards.
gotta love the outdoors!

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: turkeystrut on May 01, 2013, 09:35:20 PM
For some reason my gun shoots high at 30  yards.

That's not uncommon. My 935 shot a foot high at 40 yds.

I vote for the SSX that's what I've got in the above mentioned 935.

grousec

I have a 935 and I have a Jellyhead 690 and I also managed to come up with a Stardot.  I usually use the Jellyhead.

Bottomland

i shoot a rhino .690 out of my 835 and i think its a good hunting pattern.  I get around 245 hits in the 10 inch circle at 40 yards. 

gobblingghost

I have seen some great patterns with Sumtoy

Hayman

I have a Rob Roberts .660 in my Rem 870 with 23 inch barrel it shoots great !

Rockhound

glenhunter

Jellyhead all the way............... :happy0064:

blueridgegobbler

ILIKEHEVI-13

This is a no brainer for my 28" barrel 2000 model 835.  I have shot the Indian Creek BDS .675 stainless steel version choke, Pure Gold .670, TruGlo SSX .670, Jelly Head .690, and none of these chokes and I'm talking shot to shot consistency for 10" and 20" numbers, none will touch my original Star Dot .676 when it comes to shooting Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's.  It still shoots Hevi-13 #6's and magblend loads well too.  But I would say if I shot other loads beside the 7's that some of these chokes may do better with the 6's or 5's or blends. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now granted not all of these Hevi-13 3.5 #7 loads will shoot as good as the lot 300325 I have.  But I can take one of those shells and when the temp is around 75 degrees or so turn in patterns like this at 40yds.  On a so-so lot # of these loads 300 shot isn't hard to obtain. 

I have also shot a 360 with this same lot #. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

And I hope I did'nt sidetrack your thread since I seen where you want to shoot Win Extended Range 5's or 6's, but they aren't making those loads anymore.  So what is out there is it.  I know quite a few guys on here that shoot Hevi-13 in either 6's, 7's, or magblend loads that swear by them.  I myself like Hevi-13 #7's due to the fact that nothing will pattern better than these loads for pattern density unless maybe if you go to NITROS, and that's a big if.  But I wanted to apologize if I derailed what you were asking info on.  I can promise you all the chokes you mentioned will in fact shoot very well at least with the loads that I shot through them.  And I did'nt mean to take anything away from those chokes by what I said.  But having said that, I just want you to know that there is a huge difference in a choke that turns in an exceptional pattern once in a great while, but it's an entire different story for a choke to consistently keep doing it repeatably.  That's why I said what I said about the Star Dot.