OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need some advice

Started by farmerjim, May 01, 2013, 07:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerjim

ok so heres my situation i'm hunting a pretty big farm that borders surburbia and 2 rivers. we have a bunch of birds in the area and have them pretty well patterened they come off the roosts and go to either 2 fields and then make a big circle of the farm. problem is we setup in the hedgerow in 1 field and then they seem to go to the others after fly down they will respond to our calls but we're rookies at calling so its limited they go nuts when the geese on the river get going and the train blows at the crossing. we have a couple dekes but havent tried them yet. i think my main trouble is with work we have to be done around 7am to make it to work which doesnt give enough waiting time for them to come to us as we call. today the 1 tom we targeted flew to the opposite field so we stalked over to that field and set up in a hedgerow along the access road about 500ft from where he was feeding and struting called a bit but he held tight answering our limited calls he then went back towards his roost and that was it we had to pack it in. what would be a good way to try and get this bird? i am thinking of going in early and setting up close to where he flys down on the field edge and maybe put the dekes out in the field.

Uncle Tom

Farmerjim, get in there and observe from a distance (early morn, mid morn, early afternoon, etc.) exactly w here they are entering and exiting the fields and then make your move. Don't know your seasons but the late season is probably my favorite when after an old bird. They will be looking for a hen that is still willing and will respond to light clucks-purrs-scratching in leaves. Read my post on here couple days ago 'tagged out up here' and with a little luck you can get it done. Will be trying to post some pictures of this hunt, sorry don't have a picture to show. On this hunt, did not have to make a call on him---he heard me getting set up in the dark and entered this pasture exactly where I thought he would, and stepped out looking for a hen. Try this you have nothing to lose and it could happen real fast and be sure to sit perfectly still and be in could cover because it could be real tight...remember they can hear you thinking and see you change your mind. Let us know what happens.

beardwacker

glad I scrolled down exactly as Uncle Tom said.