OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

help with tough field birds

Started by MEbeardlover, May 01, 2013, 11:10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEbeardlover

I am on a group of birds in the same area. This area has four fields, each several acres, surrounded by hardwoods and pines, with plenty of water (streams and bogs). The birds like to roost near the fields, and they fly down into fields in the AM. They usually land in the same field (smallest and most isolated field) and will eventually make their way into other fields.

So, suggestions for set ups? I've got a really good bead on which field they will land in. But it almost seems like I am at the mercy of where they decide to land. This morning I set up on a field edge near, but not on top of, their roost site (watched them roost last night). They landed three-quarters of the way down the field, about 100 yards away. I had decoys out, but they were not interested. The limited calling that I attempted got their attention, but no where near enough to entice them to move in my direction.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ridgerunner7

I ran into this last week. They came off the roost and met up with real hens and ignored my deke field set up for the better part of the morning. They followed the hens to their nest around 9:30 and came right into my setup at 10am. Dead bird. They were interested but just wouldn't leave the hens. 
Hope this helps. 

MEbeardlover

Thanks, excellent point. When it comes to breeding, they have good memories for where they heard calls or saw birds! My dilemma right now is my work schedule gets in the darn way of my hunting! I only have time to hunt off the roost for an hour and a half, and that's it. Thanks for the input.

Uncle Tom

Get in real tight to that roost sight and do some scratching in the leaves, maby move some leaves on some bushes, anything to let them know you are down there...but all this has to be done so lightly that you think he has no way to hear it. Hard to explain this, but if you are just a few yards from that roost tree..belive me they can hear you thinking and see you change your mind..almost true Have done this on a hunt just last Friday and once several years ago. Last Friday rather than fly down in this pasture out in front of me..was set up right behind a barb wire fence 3 yards off...and at 45 minutes before first light..complete darkness. Cut a couple small branches in the dark and placed around my set up...know they heard it but because of the late season and the green-up they could not see the ground. This will not work in early season with no leaves on trees...believe me. Well, at 6:40, he dropped down from roost and was no more than 10 yards behind me...and gobbled twice..I mean he shook the ground. Walked right by me at 5 yards or less--never knew I was there--but he was sure that hen he thought he heard under him had walked out into the pasture..so he walks under fence and marches out to 28 yards directly in front of me, to get on a little rise to observe the entire pasture. When I gave him a light cluck to stop him--he turns to his side to see this hen he had just walked right by. A classic hunt and never made a call except that one cluck. This whole story is on here under "Tagged out up here" trying to post some pictures. Big bird and hope this helps. Have said before and will say again..if you want to kill the boss of the woods give him just enough of clucks & purrs to let them know you are there and more times than not you will get your bird if you will stay put and make him find you. Old timer told me once using a decoy is cheating..and to this day I am ashamed to tell him I used one. Seldom do because I really do feel it takes away from the hunt...just like baiting to me. Let us know what happens..hope this helps.

DirtNap647

Quote from: Uncle Tom on May 07, 2013, 07:25:29 AM
Get in real tight to that roost sight and do some scratching in the leaves, maby move some leaves on some bushes, anything to let them know you are down there...but all this has to be done so lightly that you think he has no way to hear it. Hard to explain this, but if you are just a few yards from that roost tree..belive me they can hear you thinking and see you change your mind..almost true Have done this on a hunt just last Friday and once several years ago. Last Friday rather than fly down in this pasture out in front of me..was set up right behind a barb wire fence 3 yards off...and at 45 minutes before first light..complete darkness. Cut a couple small branches in the dark and placed around my set up...know they heard it but because of the late season and the green-up they could not see the ground. This will not work in early season with no leaves on trees...believe me. Well, at 6:40, he dropped down from roost and was no more than 10 yards behind me...and gobbled twice..I mean he shook the ground. Walked right by me at 5 yards or less--never knew I was there--but he was sure that hen he thought he heard under him had walked out into the pasture..so he walks under fence and marches out to 28 yards directly in front of me, to get on a little rise to observe the entire pasture. When I gave him a light cluck to stop him--he turns to his side to see this hen he had just walked right by. A classic hunt and never made a call except that one cluck. This whole story is on here under "Tagged out up here" trying to post some pictures. Big bird and hope this helps. Have said before and will say again..if you want to kill the boss of the woods give him just enough of clucks & purrs to let them know you are there and more times than not you will get your bird if you will stay put and make him find you. Old timer told me once using a decoy is cheating..and to this day I am ashamed to tell him I used one. Seldom do because I really do feel it takes away from the hunt...just like baiting to me. Let us know what happens..hope this helps.
very good advice

bigredneck61088

What decoy setup are you using?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

beardwacker

I fully agree with what Uncle Tom said.  Happens alot to me on public land.  I just go to where the turkey's are.

MEbeardlover

Uncle Tom, thanks for the strategy. I have been debating on how to do something like this, to get them (or him) down on the ground in the woods instead of them choosing the field. And this sounds like a good possibility as well as one heck of a challenge.We are really starting to green up in my area, and the leaves are really popping, so this will be good in the next week or so.

miro15

Great advice!!  Thanks guys!