Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

shot and missed how long after to hunt the same spot

Started by luked, April 30, 2013, 08:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luked

wasn't me that missed was my brother he missed a bird Sunday morning on a small feild. I came in today to the same spot but nothing so far. how long after a shot and missed bird would you all hunt the spot again.

GobbleNut

This is a tough question to answer,...and that answer depends on a lot of variables about your situation.  If there are other gobblers in the area,...and if they are coming to that field to forage or display, then you might still kill a bird there.  However, if you are presuming that the gobbler you called and missed will readily return to your calling again,...well, it has been my experience that that is unlikely to happen. 

Some may claim that a missed gobbler can simply be called in again by changing tactics or calls, but that has not been the case for me or the multitude of other hunters I have hunted with over the decades.  There may be places where shot-at gobblers can be fooled again with a call, but that doesn't happen much in this part of the country. 

Personally, if there are other gobblers around that you can go hunt, I would try them before spending much time trying to call a gobbler that has already been shot at this season.  Now, if you go ahead and kill that bird by using the same tactics again,...give thanks to the turkey gods.  You have been blessed with being able to hunt the Einsteins of the turkey world!

BBD

I kileld a bird yesterday that was shot Saturday wthin 50 yards of where I killed him. His breast had green sores all over it and I dug 5 WIn ER 6's out of them.  Didn't seem to be botherign at all yesterday, he put on a gobblefest...

fsu33952

About 15 years ago my dad took my nephew out on the youth season the weekend before the regular Alabama season on public land. The kid was like 6 or 7. Dad called up a 2 year old and my nephew shot a limb.The gobbler flew across the holler and just walked off like nothing was wrong.  About 15 minutes the turkey started gobbling just out of sight. Dad clucked a few times and the turkey came right back over and they killed him. A few years ago I called up two gobblers and killed one. The other barely flew out of shooting distance and hit the ground and started back gobbling. He was gobbling but walking the other way. I figure he must of thought it was lightening or something. These were not jakes either. The one I killed was a 3year old or better. I doubt it happens often. I had two the other day that gobbled like crazy. Killed one and the other turkey as far as I know has not gobbled again as far as I know.

derek

I've gone back and killed a bird I missed 2 days later.  Another bird I missed I killed the next day.  Had to work a little harder the second time in both instances, but got my redemption. 

A buddy of mine this year killed the same gobbler he missed just a few hours earlier. 

I'll assume all of these were clean misses. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

beardwacker

Like other's said depends on alot of factor's, terrain, how big the area, pressure, did you spook the hens out too?  If small area, I would wait for two or three days if can and go back.  Or try another part of property.  I usually go to the gobble not the field.  Last year my buddy missed a turkey in field.  The next day, turkey gobbled, he went to the field I went and set up like closer to him.  I ended up circling and taking him totally opposite of the field, but he was working hen's too.

calebb

Killed one sunday morning that got shot at saturday, wasn't sitting against the same tree but I wasn't more than 15 yards from it. There were two big birds, a jake, and a hen that had a strange affinity to one field. Little brother shot at them saturday morning at 830 and they were back in the same corner of the field by noon that day.

I think a lot of it just depends on the bird you are hunting. Gotta keep in mind the brain size of this bird we chase after... its not much.