OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

4-24-13..Tagged out in VA.

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, April 28, 2013, 09:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

I spent a morning on this property before the season but didnt hear anything.  I did find some gobbler tracks and the owner said that there there were a bunch of birds on the property.  I got to the property around 5am and I opted to start the morning off on the large powerline that ran through the property so that I could hear for a distance.  As I crossed the powerline I walked to a trail that met the powerline and decided to see if i could make something happen.  I hooted and a bird gobbled about 250 yards out, this is at 5:40am.  GAME ON!!  I slipped down into the patch of woods towards the bird, all the while he started ripping off the gobbles.  I was able to get about 100 yards from the bird while he was still in the tree.  I set up and got situated, i waited a few minutes and gave the bird a couple cluck to let him know i was there and he gobbled back.  After a few minutes of listening to the bird gobble i used my wing and flew down, again he gobbled at that.  A couple minutes pass and then he gobbles a little to my left about 75 yards out.  TIME TO START PLAYING HIDE AND SEEK.  I gave him a couple clucks and he hammered back, then i gave him an excited yelp and he cut me off.  I went quiet and next thing i know here comes the wonderful sight of a big ol' white head, he gets to 35 yards and looks like he gonna walk by me, when he went behind a large tree i purred at him and he turned and walked towards me...BOOM TIME!!!  Bird died at 6:13.  Thirty three minutes on a new piece of property and it was over.

20 lbs, 11 3/8 beard, 3/4 spurs.....Nothing like a 2 year old that is lonely

surehuntsalot

very nice looking bird....congrats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ads1

Nice season and congratulations on the long beard! :gobble:
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

alloutdoors

weave

Congrats.  VA is kicking my tail this year

DirtNap647

tomstopper

boomer

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

Crappiepro

Very nice bird!! Congrats!   :you_rock:

captin_hook