North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poll:Average shot distance this season

Started by the Ward, April 28, 2013, 07:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

at what distance did you take your bird this season?

under 10 yards
1 (1%)
10-20 yards
18 (17.5%)
20-30 yards
38 (36.9%)
30-40 yards
45 (43.7%)
missed!
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 102

the Ward

Had this discussion among friends this week.The results were surprising to us.In the areas we hunt we concluded among us our average shots were 20-25 yards,for all the birds we have taken.All the miss's came at less than 10yds.Wondering what the averages would be in other parts of the country and terrain.Thanks for your replys!....ward

barry

I did a similar survey on a local forum several years ago.
1st year had 106 kill shots reported with average distance being 27.2 yards
2nd year had 112 kill shots reported with an average distance of 26.7 yards

runngun

25 yard average for me

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

emptymag

Old thread here but, Whats everyones shot distance this year? This one seems like it could use some new/more info.

howl

If they make it inside 30 yards on me, its because I failed to get the shot off sooner.

alloutdoors

I shot one at 30 yards and another at 35 yards this year, which are both above average for me distance wise. I had several birds inside 10 yards this year that never offered shots, and more than I can count that hung up around 60 yards or were pulled wide by live hens. Ended up having to hunt a lot harder and longer than usual to tag out so when I got clear shots I didn't hesitate to take them.

DirtNap647

budtripp

Mine were 35 and 25. So an even 30 yd average

Gumby

20, 10, 35....'bout 22yd avg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captin_hook

35 yard kill for me this year. Longer than usual for me.

Marc

I am hunting some steep foothills with live oaks, as well as some rolling foothills...

In the past most of my shots have been 30 yards and under...  Killed one bird at about 40 yards once...  This season I killed one bird at just over 30 yards and one just under 20 yards.

But...  this season, there is a bird or two that I would have gladly taken at 40 yards. ::)

Frequently, I get birds into range, and can just see the tail fan displaying...  Keep hoping for that head to pop up over the rise or small knoll they are behind.  Although I hate taking the shot when all I can see is the head, cause I missed on once that way shooting over the top...  Tough to put the bead in the dirt and pull the trigger.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Killed some as close as 9 steps and as far as 53.

WildTigerTrout

Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

srmturk

IowaGobblers

Countin all the hunts I was part of this year, 17, 22, 40, 35, 22, 42, 19 = around 28 yards.