turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

AIR TRAVEL AND TURKEY GEAR...LEAVE THURSDAY

Started by agturkey, April 27, 2013, 05:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agturkey

Been several years since I have had to fly to go turkey hunt...need some advice...Going to use the SKB golf case to put guns and gear in...looking at my carry on and personal bag...I know the gun and ammo will go into the locked hard case...but any pointers some of you have found...seems I have gear I want to pack like strikers, calls etc as carry on items but not sure how they will respond to some of them...anyone have any suggestions?  Will be gone for ten days between work and hunting so my bags will fill up pretty quick...

gatrapper

I have flown a lot with weapons, and the process has always been easy.  Gun goes in a hard, lockable gun case.  At the airport I go to the check in counter, the person at the desk has me open the gun case (I dont lock it yet) and they check to make sure the guns are not loaded and sign a slip and put it inside the gun case.  Then I bring the gun case to the oversized items area.  The TSA person checks the guns again and then has me put 3 locks on the gun case.  They take the gun case, load it on a conveyer belt and Im off to the terminal. 

Very simple process, but it varies depending on the airport.  I've never had a problem with the process though.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

alloutdoors

I flew recently with five trumpets in my carry on. They did pull them out and ask about them, but I explained they were turkey calls and that was that. I'm sure they had never seen anything like that before. Slates and strikers shouldn't be any problem.

slamman

I carried on strikers and box calls without a problem.  DO NOT use a TSA approved lock for your gun case TSA agents CANNOT handle your weapon if there is a problem only a law enforcement officer is allowed to handle your weapon.  Another piece of advice to save you some time is to wipe down the outside of your gun case prior to flying if the TSA finds any gun powder residue on the outside they will have to inspect the entire case inside and out including tearing out the insulation that protects the gun.