turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Opening day Jake

Started by WildSpur, April 27, 2013, 02:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildSpur

Well I heard 5 distant gobbles all day.  Otherwise a beautiful morning.  I sat down to take a break at the top of the river hill and gave some calls out hoping to atleast get a courtesy gobble from across the river.

Low and behold I hear footsteps walking up the mountain to me.  I can only see about 20 yards below me because of the topography.   I gave some calls and nothing.  Mind you I am not sitting against a tree or anything.  Shortly I have a red, white, and blue head pop up from below.  I then see a fan pop out.  I knew it was a Jake.  I then see a second bird and can tell its a hen.  The bird walked to about 15 yards and I could not resist.  Smacked him with now vintage extended range 6's.

He weighed 15# 1 oz.  I am quite a bit supprised by that.  In my area jakes are usually 13# or less and 2 year olds are sometimes less than 15#.  He had normal Jake spurs and a 3 3/8" beard.

All and all I am happy.  Though only a Jake he is a public land mountain bird from an area with low to moderate population. 

I will be back at it Monday for a longbeard.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

WildSpur

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Twowithone

Way to go nephew on the gobbler. :firefighter: :policeman:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Hayudog

Way to go.  Sounded like a plan that worked!

RutnNStrutn

Got him marked down on the team total!!