OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new member here...need help with a new gun

Started by luked, April 26, 2013, 11:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luked

hello everyone.
so I just bought me a Remington 1187 Super magnum Sureshot Turkey gun. its got the factory choke in it which measures .672 I shot some 3" shells though it yesterday Winchester 1-7/8 #6 and they shot very good. but it is a 3-1/2 chambered gun so would like to shoot some 3-1/2 out of it but the ones I shot yesterday which were Kent brand 2oz #6 and 2-1/4 oz #6 and they shot great at 25 yards but at 40 I was less than impressed with them for a 3-1/2 shell. not sure if its just the cheap shells or what. was hoping some of you all turkey hunters that might use this gun could suggest a reasonably priced 3-1/2 shell and also a choke tube for this thing.

SCDieselDawg

:welcomeOG:  I would suggest either Federal Strut Shok or Turkey Thugs, Winchester Double X or High Velocity.  And maybe a choke swap. My 870sm did really well with a .660 Jelly Head and 3.5" Winchester double x #6s. Good luck!

luked

thanks
I read a little one here and I saw a lot of guys like the .660 jelly head. but im having a heck of a time finding them in stock. can find a bunch of the .665s but no .660s

captin_hook

I have a 870 with the surshot, and the factory HD choke shot great for me. IMO, I would save the money you would spend on new chokes, run the HD factory choke with some Hevi shot and you're done.

ILIKEHEVI-13

The Kent Turkey shells I have shot at 40yds would do good to even kill a turkey humanely.  I can tell you a very good choke to try that should work shooting most loads for your 11-87.  The Rem Ventilator .655.  It will probably shoot Hevi-13 #7's and 6's the best.  For the money, I think that choke will be hard to beat.  I had one for my 870 3" gun, and had some great patterns with Hevi-13 #7's.  You should be able to get it for around $25 shipped to your door.  A lot of other guys that shoot Rem guns like the Jelly Heads.  My 870 didn't care for either. 

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/956890.htm

ILIKEHEVI-13

Here was the 10' pattern from the very first shot out of my Ventilator .655 choke form my 870 at 40yds taped.  I'll show you the 10" pattern and then the turkey target I was shooting at with Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

To better explain that above, I was aiming at the turkey target I had taped to the middle of a big piece of cardboard backer so I could catch most if not all of my pattern.  I shot that shot with open bead.  I then later took my 10" glass cut-out and put it over the denset part of pattern on the cardboard backer and drew my circle.  That piece of paper was 11" x 11".   

:welcomeOG:

ILIKEHEVI-13

And like the guys told you the Winchester and Federal Turkey loads will do a lot better than the Kent turkey loads.  I have even had some good luck with the Rem Nitro turkey loads.  But Winchester 6's in 3.5" 2.25oz would be a great choice or even the Win 2oz High Velocity loads. 

luked

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on April 26, 2013, 12:55:14 PM
Here was the 10' pattern from the very first shot out of my Ventilator .655 choke form my 870 at 40yds taped.  I'll show you the 10" pattern and then the turkey target I was shooting at with Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's.

wow now that is impressive ill have to say that.
for the price of the choke im gonna try it. and ill see about getting some #7s. most all I have shot in my old 1300 Winchester is #6s and they do very well but ill have to say at seeing that pattern with 7s at 40 yards im impressed. ill have to try some of them. only bad thing is the price of them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Luke,

As you may know there are no guarantees in chokes and guns.  But I would bet that combo would work excellent for you.  Now I don't know how that .655 Ventilator choke will do with 3.5" Hevi-13 #7's since my gun won't shoot them.  But what I do know is that most of the time if the lighter loads shoot great in a particular choke that the heavier loads will shoot even better. 

I'll show you a great pattern from that choke shooting Hevi-13 3" 1.75oz #6's at 40yds.  It will shoot them, too.  Temp was 45 degrees.

And here's another great pattern for as cool as it was.  Temp was 45 degrees on this one shooting the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's.

Now that first one I posted earlier with the 7's was probably around 72 degrees.

ILIKEHEVI-13

What is the barrel length on your 11-87 super mag? 

luked

barrel is 23"
I ordered some of the Hevi-13 2oz #7s in 3" and also 3-1/2 as well. so ill try both and see how they do.
don't have much of season left. this weekend and next weekend. but hopefully ill get them in middle of the week and ill use them the rest of the season if they shoot well.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: luked on April 26, 2013, 02:51:26 PM
barrel is 23"
I ordered some of the Hevi-13 2oz #7s in 3" and also 3-1/2 as well. so ill try both and see how they do.
don't have much of season left. this weekend and next weekend. but hopefully ill get them in middle of the week and ill use them the rest of the season if they shoot well.

That sounds good. 

I can tell you that a shorter barrel may like a little tighter choke.  So the .655 Ventilator if you do decide to try it may work very well in your barrel.  It works very well in my 28" barrel for 10" numbers.  But really your 10" numbers are the ones that count typically and do the majority of the work downrange.  You might later try a .660 choke in a good make like Inidan Creek of Pure Gold.  Heck the Jelly Head .660 may work well in your barrel. I just got a .662 Hevi-Shot choke for my 870, but it will be quite awhile before I get to shoot it. 

Here was the backside of the first shot I posted earlier of the Ventilator with the Hevi-13 2oz #7's.  The 20" could be a little better, but remember, too, the more shot you put inside the 10" your 20" numbers won't be as impressive. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Luke,

I don't know if this choke will work for sure in your barrel, but it might.  But this MAD Super Max .675 has been my best shooting warmer weather(65 degrees or warmer) choke for shooting the Hevi-13 #'2oz #7's.  This was the best pattern I ever have shot with that load.  Again this was a taped 40yds.  Anytime from my experience you can shoot this load an put 500 shot inside a 20 circle at a tape measured 40yds you have got what I call a barn burner.  Now granted not all Hevi-13 #7 loads will shoot as good as this old lot # I had, but it will give you and idea what you can dream about or hope to get. 

FL-Boss

I have the exact same gun and have put it through the test with many chokes.  First thing - always shoot HEVI #7, 3.5 regardless - it's clearly the best.  As for chokes - they all shoot pretty close to each other. Ventilator wasn't the best for me - but good.  Jelly Heads seems to be the way - I actually got 10 more hits from the looser .665 JH when compared to the JH .660. 

Wrights #1, HEVI choke, Indian Creek, Jelly Head - they should all shoot within 20 hits or each other. All good chokes.  Your factory wingmaster choke is good as well.