turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finding a roost without a call

Started by NEKVT, April 26, 2013, 08:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEKVT

I always see the birds in the same field every morning before crossing over into the one i typically hunt.
I assume this means their roost is somwhere in the woods behind that field.  How fay do birds typically roost from a field that thay hang out in? How can I find a roost without any crow  or owel calls?

DirtNap647

i have seen them roost  in the field edge or 200yds away gona be tough if you dont wana call two make them gobble either pick a calm night get as close as you can and try to listen for the wings as they fly up or get to where you can see in the morning and try to watch and see if they pitch in the field or count the time from flydown to entrance of the field

NEKVT

It's not that I dont want to call, But I dont have any calls and I am not that sure i know what I am doing. This is only my second turkey season.

NEKVT

I just remembered I do have a duck call, can that be used to roost them? it seems all you are doing is getting them to shock call on a limb when roosting?
Thie only other call i have is my turkey button call that actually worked great for me last season when i called one in one morning.

NEKVT

Did noone reply because my duck call idea was just too dumb to reply to lol?

FL-Boss

you can get a decent owl hooter for around $5

TauntoHawk

give it a try, Ive had em shock to a goose call around my river properties pretty effectively. or Just hoot with your voice
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mike Honcho

I hear them shock gobble to geese all the time where I live.   Walmart sells a "Hammerin Crow " call for about 6-7 bucks that sounds really good and takes no skill to call on it...I know cuz I can make it sound great.

stinkpickle

Most of the time, they gobble on their own.  Occasionally, they need some encouragement, though.  If an owl hoot doesn't work, almost any loud, shrill noise will do.  Besides, if you're seeing the birds in the same field all the time, who cares where they roost.  ;)

jmasters

hookedspur

If they want to be in that field thats where you want to be as well.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Greenshed Longbeard

A little leg work into those woods while the turkeys are gone would give insight as to which trees they are roosting in (look for droppings) you will know when you find the roost.
Greenshed Longbeard

tomstopper

trackerbucky

I just use my voice for an owl hooter and cover as much ground as I can just before dark. Often a turkey will answer me. Don't think that you aren't good enough to owl hoot.  I'm certainly not very good, but the turkeys still answer me pretty often.  Once you get over the feeling of embarrassment of not sounding exactly like an owl it works great.

I'm not sure what species of owls you have where you hunt, but you should try to mimic them.  Barred owls are common where I hunt, so I mimic them by hooting "Hoo-hoo-hoohoo ... Hoo-hoo hoohooaaa"  I've heard it described as (and the cadence is) "Who cooks for you ... Who cooks for you-all"

Here's a youtube video of a barred owl calling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fppKGJD3Y6c

I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

J Hook Max

From what I see , Greenshed Longbeard gave you the best answer of all. It's called scouting. Put as much time and effort into scouting as you do hunting and you will kill way more turkeys. Be there at daylight and find out where they enter the field. Just maybe , you will hear them gobble from the roost. Just remember , at any time they may change their routine. That's why scouting is a season long affair.