OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Hunting in Rainy Woods NEED HELP ASAP!!!

Started by NFW, April 25, 2013, 02:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NFW

Saw the other thread about hunting in rain and didnt want to highjack his thread, but how should i hunt turkeys in the woods, we have plenty of turkeys from what ive heard 10-12 gobblers, have had a problem getting them gobbling until last weekend when they blew up and i came pretty close. we only have 6 days left and they've pissed me off so im determined to kill one at all costs. From sunday to wednesday ill be hunting as much as i can unfortunately we are suppose to get rain the majority of the time so trying to figure out the best way to get it done. They dont seem to go to the food plots just seem to stay in the woods occasionally walk a dirt road. And seem to be henned up pretty good for the most part as youll hear the occasional gobble around 8:00 but thats it. Minus last weekend when i heard all of em off he roost. and got reallll close (60 yd and wouldnt cross a revine) to one at 8:30 NEED HELP to get this done!!!!!

Any advice is much appreciated!!!!!

theghost_03

With rain the best success I've had is working your tail off to pinpoint roosts. Pushing the limit in the morning to get close and setting up on them in the evening.  Rain can really shut a bird down vocally but they still move, just typically under tree cover. If it lets up even a bit I've had some of my best hunts because they will come out to feed it seems even more so in light rain, plus they will try drying off. Thunder, that's a diff story.  Almost impossible in my experience hunting them then.  Good luck!
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS

DirtNap647

ive noticed turkeys love fields in the rain i think its either the bugs in the field or they can sense danger easier then in a rainy forest if no fields then as close to the roost as you can good luck!

tomstopper

Quote from: MrB0000M on April 26, 2013, 08:47:34 AM
ive noticed turkeys love fields in the rain i think its either the bugs in the field or they can sense danger easier then in a rainy forest if no fields then as close to the roost as you can good luck!
Yep. Fields are good but so are old logging roads, clear cuts, & pipelines/utility line strips. When in the woods on old logging roads I have watched them go crazy pecking/feeding off the ground. I think they are gorging themselves on worms or bugs etc.