turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First of 2013 for me

Started by steveo, April 24, 2013, 11:14:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveo

Well first bird of the 2013 season for me,  Monday was the opener and knowing the spot I had picked out had at least 4 long beards on it was excited for it to be here. First light brought sporadic roost gobbling to the left and right of my position and at fly down all gobbling stopped, thinking they had hens with them I only called lightly and sparingly thinking I would just wait them out.  At 10:00am I hear what I think are two gobblers to the left at around 150 yards, I start off quietly purring and clucking and they would gobble but not move.....thinking they had hens I stopped and waited, after a half hour and no more gobbling I cut hard and they gobble back from the same spot! They didn't move?.  Hmmm,  well I start cutting big time on a mouth call and a slate simultaneously and they go crazy ! double gobbling triple gobbling and moving ! they covered 100 yards in a few minutes. At 50 yards I see the first bird and he is strutting with the other bringing up the rear.......at 25 yards I let the strutter have it ! down he went, 24.6 lbs 10 ¾" beard and 1 1/8 spurs.   I am going to take my daughter out Friday to see if we can get his brother to do a repeat performance and fill her tag........I cant wait!.

Jay Longhauser

AUDoubleBeard

Nice, bird and thats a thick beard. :icon_thumright:

Basser69

kansas hooks

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Shakey Jake

DirtNap647

captin_hook

JVA54

beagler

Never Misses

alloutdoors

renegade19

BIG rope on that one bird.  Congrats!

tomstopper

Awesome gobbler with a beautiful beard. Congrats.....

surehuntsalot

fine looking bird...congrats
it's not the harvest,it's the chase