OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Difference in glass calls

Started by Rodd Gunn, April 23, 2013, 09:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodd Gunn

I have a question. What is the difference in regular glass, bronze glass and crystal pot calls? Do they all give the same sound or what? Can they all be worked when wet? Thanks in advance. Rodd Gunn

pappy

There is a difference in the glass and their respective hardness due to any process that would change it, of course the harder the material, in this case glass, the higher the pitch through the friction applied to it. Regular glass, if there really is such a thing, is created through the heating, melting and spreading of the granules of sand and when mixed with hardeners will cause sound quality to change as more hardeners are added. This is true throughout the entire piece, Bronzed glass, is a process where a chemical change has taken place on the outer layer of the glass, once removed it reveals the original glass below it and according to what materials were added to harden the glass would dictate the resonation qualities of that glass, what it does as "bronzed" glass it keeps the movement of the glass under friction tighter, resulting in high pitch with rasp follow up. Crystal is glass with lead, actually softer then a regular piece of glass and the process used to make it is more complicated and the general appearance is clearer then the regular glass, the surface of crystal is easier to condition, therefore the friction rate is better, the sound generally is lower in pitch then regular glass.  Working a call when wet would require a striker designed to do so, glass can be worked when wet, but it takes a striker with water proof material on the tip, I believe there is a fellow here on the site who makes them and has a great track record with them. You should do a search for them if you are intending on hunting in wet conditions. I hope this was helpful, pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

WildSpur

All should work when wet if using anything but a wood striker.  Pretty sure all will have different sounds.  I think pigments used in the material will affect the sound.   

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

Rodd Gunn

Thanks for the advise Pappy and Wildspur. That is what I was looking for. Called a bird in for a youngster this past Saturday using an old Quaker Boy dual sided glass and slate and my Hooks Executioner 2 mouth call. I used the glass side not the slate. The slate sound too hollow for me. This was the first bird I called in that was actually harvested.