OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How many people have had success calling and moving toward a bird?

Started by Indianayounggun, April 22, 2013, 03:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indianayounggun

Yesterday afternoon I was hunting in a spot where alot of turkeys like to go and strut before they roost and at about 630 heard two birds gobble some 200 yards behind me. They wouldnt answer calls but would shock gobble at geese flying overhead. Long story short I decided that if it got to be 715 and they hadnt moved any or answered a call they were probably going to roost back in that woodlot so I should go chase them. When I started moving towards them, like a real hen would likley do, and calling they got rediculously fired up and came strutting and gobbling right to me and only one of them left! I was just wondering if alot of guys do this because it has worked so well for me in the past and I havent seen alot of publicity on the tactic before.

DirtNap647

ya i have resetup multiple times on turkeys usually have good results

tomstopper

Quote from: MrB0000M on April 22, 2013, 06:07:57 PM
ya i have resetup multiple times on turkeys usually have good results
:agreed: But I am extremely careful in doing so on public land.......

renegade19

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: renegade19 on April 22, 2013, 09:17:30 PM
I have.  One of my favorite tactics.
Me too. I used that very tactic last Saturday during our youth season and my son killed his first longbeard ever! EDIT UPDATE: The same tactic worked again Saturday April 27th,the first day of Pa.'s regular season and I downed a good one. He was 21 pounds, 1 inch heavy spurs and a thick 10 inch rope. He is featured in my new Avatar. ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

GobbleNut

Yep, in the right situation this can be a deadly tactic.  It works well for birds on the roost, too. If you can get away with it, staying a couple of hundred yards or more away from a roosted bird until right at flydown time, and then calling and moving towards the bird like an approaching hen that has just come off the roost will often make a gobbler come to investigate when he might not otherwise. It is a difficult tactic to pull off, especially in open country, but when you can, it really fools them.