North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Va. morning hunt

Started by The Painter, April 21, 2013, 11:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Painter

These birds are hen'ed up !
I get to the farm in Va @ 5am get set up in a way back field a few gobbles at first then the sun popped out and there must have been a dozen toms sounding off in the to bottoms on both sides of the field in the hard woods. I was thinking ...this is good. 5 times I have a bird with in 75 yards and a hen sticks her big noise in his business and cuts him off. You'd think one would get through. It's about 11:30 and I get my finial gobble and then another ..cool he's on his way. Then i got shot blocked again !
Maybe Monday. Instead of hunting the small field on top I'm going to slip into the thick of these birds on the creek bottom and hopefully add a surprise to one and help him take a dirt nap
I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
::: Andrew Wyeth :::
ColonialRestorationStudio.com

The Painter

2nd hunt in Va. Awesome morning
But...... Big Tom won again this year.  Few birds were talking. I had my back to a creek and looking up a hardwood ridge from the bottom. I'm set up where I saw this Boss Tom last year but could not get the shot. So this year I set up and was waiting on him. He never gobbled. I got a gobble from a bird down the creek about 150 yards and he's making his way to me so I repositioned myself to the left and the bird is coming. He's about 75 yards out and all of a sudden this Big Bad Boy comes running in quite ! He's 25 yards from me at 5o'clock and Nothing I could do but sit and hope for him to walk behind a tree. He did but he bolted as I started my turn. It was exciting ! So maybe tomorrow.
I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

jakebird

Sounds like a couple birds in need of dirt naps! Good luck, Painter. Keep at em! :fud:
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

The Painter

It was so windy yesterday morning I only heard one bird , Saturday morning should be a little different.

The Painter

Saturday Morning ;
This morning 4 gobblers sounded off with in calling ranger. @ 8:15, 3 jakes came in but the big boy stayed behind. I decided to move to the backfield. The field is shaped like an hour glass. the bottom side is a very large field the top side is a very small field. the hourglass is surrounded by hardwoods.at the pinch point is a very small island of trees 10 yards wide with a 5-yard openings on both sides. I set up in the island looking into the small field. I hitting the call with some old hen sounds hard. @ 11 am I get a gobble 30 yards on the back side. He's drumming and  and gobbling for about 15 minutes  before I see him through the thickets on the edge of the island fan out making a move towards the opening. I set for the shot when he comes around by laying my gun on a rest. He stuck his head out about 5' from me. My barrel is about 3" to high. As soon as i lowered to fire he bolted. It was so cool to be eye to eye with this big boy. He's got character...... Hopefully a 3rd time is a charm. Can't get any closer then that !