Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Another Turkey Hunter is Born!

Started by slyoldtom, April 21, 2013, 09:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slyoldtom

My son shot his first turkey yesterday during the youth hunt in pa. It started out with 6 hens and 3 jakes all around us! A couple hens inside ten yards!  The jakes were behind us about 20 yards gobbling! I thought it was going to happen but couldn't get a shot! They moved on and we moved to new spot and it wasn't productive not even a gobble! Until we decided to pack up to leave! Right then one gobbled behind us we looked at each other and said let's go to another property so we pack up. We walked about 35 yards and 3 more gobbled 70 yards in front of us! I put our mounted decoy on the path and got 20 yards above the path and start calling and they seemed to get farther away from us! So I changed up my calls until I found what they liked to hear, it wasn't long we had three jakes inside 15 yards! My son hammered the biggest one! Another Turkey Hunter is Born!

jakebird

He had a good teacher! Congrats to you guys. You certainly earned this one! Now it looks like we will all be wading through a sea of jakes this yr, Lol!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

slyoldtom

I think i hear a little envy in Jake birds post! Student is getting pretty good at this turkey hunting! Lol I can call you one in!

jakebird

Lol young grasshopper. You done good. :smiley-char092:
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?