turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got bit by a scope and now its plan B

Started by ahfox16, April 21, 2013, 07:46:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahfox16

Long story short is I touched off a 3.5" round yesterday and was too close to the scope and got destroyed (6 stitches).  My gun is an original SBE and I have a steadygrip on it.  I had the gun drilled and tapped with a weaver base long ago (my Pentax Lightseeker used weaver rings.  My plans were to go to the FFIII.  My questions are (because I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed) is whether I have to buy one with a Picatinny mount to go on my Weaver base?  Also, is there a way to protect the FFIII?  It seems to be extremely fragile to look at.  Looks like there is some sort of steel adapter that can go around it, but not sure where to get that adapter.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.  FWIW, I had a Leupold Gilmore on the gun with the same mount a few years ago, and it worked great.  It however was pretty darn big and bulky and I'm thinking smaller is better.

Any and all assistance is appreciated.  I'm head to Nebraska in 2 weeks and I need to get this installed asap.  Thanks

VAarrowslinger

Yep. Been there before! You do need the FF with a picatinny mount. I have an FF2 but for the little bit extra I'd say get the FF3. Burris does make a protector mount but they are in short supply this time of year. I do not use the protector on my gun.

BOFF

Quote from: VAarrowslinger on April 21, 2013, 03:58:02 PM
Yep. Been there before! You do need the FF with a picatinny mount. I have an FF2 but for the little bit extra I'd say get the FF3. Burris does make a protector mount but they are in short supply this time of year. I do not use the protector on my gun.

SBE I
Early Weaver mount with 2 slots going across top.
FF II with picatinny mount

God Bless,
David B.