OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington Extra Full??

Started by Rem Man, April 21, 2013, 05:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rem Man

Hi guys I have an extra full that came with my 870 Super mag. I was wondering how they shoot? I think this choke is a .687 constriction, I have a Super Full that's .665, what is the major difference im not real familiar on how the constriction numbers work. THANKS!!!

the Ward

Generally speaking,the smaller the exit diameter of the choke,the denser the pattern will be at a given range.In theory the .665 should should shoot a tighter pattern at 40yds than the .687 will,at least when you are talking about standard lead turkey loads.But there are alot of caveats here,choke design,barrel length,shell type(hevishot,lead)and even the type of wad in the shell(ie;flite control wad) can infuence how a choke/gun will perform.I would venture it would be safe to say that the .665 will probably pattern the best with lead loads over the .687.But like anything,testing is the only way to know for sure.Hope that was of some help ....ward

R AJ

To add to this, in general,the tighter constriction chokes handle smaller shot better. So, your extra full .687 choke may pattern #4 shot better than the .665. The 665 is an excellent all around choke for both lead and heavier than lead shot in #6 and #7 shot.

About the only absolute in shotgun patterning is that you absolutely must try it out to be certain of what your gun and choke will do with a particular choke, shell and shot size, lead or HTL at any given distance.

What you see at 30 yards ain't about to be near that at 40 I guarantee that.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Another thing to consider, is that not all .665 chokes will pattern the same.  I've shot at least 3 different .665 chokes in my 870, and 2 of them didn't shoot anywhere near as tight as the best one did.  3 different brands, that is.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That was one of the worst shooting chokes I think I have ever tried for what is supposed to be a turkey choke.  They should of called that a turkey joke.   :funnyturkey:

Gooserbat

I killed a few birds with one but it's not up to par with a .665 or what ever flavor you shoot turkey choke.  I have one and it shoots better than a full but nothing like a "turkey" choke in the .665 range.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.