OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Late Start To Breeding Season? Bad Weather Need Help.

Started by IowaGobblers, April 20, 2013, 08:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaGobblers

This season in Iowa has been crazy cold, even having snow yesterday, and it seems as though the breeding season hasnt even started. I am in a bind. Tomorrow is the last day of the scond season that I am able to hunt. During youth season last weekend with my nephew, having this cold weather, we still had large groups of hens and gobblers with very little gobbling the whole morning. This morning again was very cold, and I didnt hear a single gobble. It also seems that the turkeys are still grouped up seeing that I had 13 hens come into my cornfield this morning, and not a single gobbler or jake seemed to be interested in the hens. Does anybody have any tips or tricks to wake up these gobblers and get one close? Thanks

EvilleT

Don't want to threadjack but I am having the same problem in Kansas unseasonably cold and wet.  I scouted a week before the season lots of response to my crow call plus saw a lot of birds.  Went out this morning only one gobble then nothing.  I too wonder what to do?  Hope someone responds to your question.

Mike Honcho

I'm seeing exact same thing...still in groups and henned up.   I have only had time to hunt in mornings so I'm not sure what is going on in midday to afternoon.   Scouting at roost time I still see the big groups.   

I've always heard Roostin ain't roastin and boy I am finding that out this year...where I mostly hunt is land of big , deep creek bottoms...twice this weekend I've been relatively close to roosted birds (100 yards, got in clean in dark) only to have them fly down on other side of creeks on ground I can't hunt.   Here typically they won't come back across a big creek until they fly up to roost.

It's just a matter of luck and time that I will be in the right place...plus warmer weather to hopefully get the breeding season on track.