turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Eastern or Rio?

Started by turkey buster, April 19, 2013, 03:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkey buster

Im not gonna give too many details because I want your opinion from the picture only. It was killed in Louisiana which has Easterns but it looks like a Texas Rio now that its been pointed out to me.

Gamblinman

Just a little different color phase of an Eastern.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Gooserbat

Look how dark the secondaries are, not to mention the black tips in most of the secondaries as well.  Just a bit lighter than some, like a blond date over a brunette.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

turkey buster

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 19, 2013, 03:41:23 PM
Look how dark the secondaries are, not to mention the black tips in most of the secondaries as well.  Just a bit lighter than some, like a blond date over a brunette.

just a blonder eastern?

TRKYHTR

I believe Jakes have a tendency to have lighter color tails. Not all do but some do.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

turkey buster

Never noticed that about a jake..will look more often, Thanks.  I'm rather new to turkey hunting and its only my 8th bird in 5 years (8 out of 10 tags)...i get told im lucky by alot of the older turkey hunters around here for tagging out 3 of 5 years since starting with no dry year yet. 

But anyway always wanting to learn more so i can continue to get better and keep on trucking on my new favorite hunting season.

stinkpickle

Quote from: turkey buster on April 19, 2013, 04:47:48 PM
Never noticed that about a jake..will look more often, Thanks.  I'm rather new to turkey hunting and its only my 8th bird in 5 years (8 out of 10 tags)...i get told im lucky by alot of the older turkey hunters around here for tagging out 3 of 5 years since starting with no dry year yet. 

But anyway always wanting to learn more so i can continue to get better and keep on trucking on my new favorite hunting season.

Whatever you're doin', keep at it.  ;)

tomstopper

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 19, 2013, 04:55:50 PM
Quote from: turkey buster on April 19, 2013, 04:47:48 PM

Whatever you're doin', keep at it.  ;)
:agreed: sounds like you off to a good start......