turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trouble with the Thugs

Started by bunk, April 18, 2013, 01:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunk

I bought some Turkey Thugs in 3in. #5s and 31/2 #5s to try. I usually shoot 31/2 Win. HV #5s. I've shot two of the 3in shells at 40yrds. and with one the wad went 37yrds. and had a half dozen shot in it when I picked it up and the other went about five steps past the target and had four shot stuck in it. The 31/2s have not done this but both the shells from the box of 3in. have. The Win. wads and the 31/2 Thugs usually travel around 20yrds.. Has anyone had this happen? Here's a pic of the wad.

Oconeeguy

Interesting. Was the pattern affected? I have some 3" i am going to pattern after the season starts to slow down a little more.

bunk

Mid 80s in the 10" at 40yrds. and had some holes. I just got a new IC 655 to try in my 870 and that's what the one in the pic was shot with. The other one was with an IC 665. I've been using a JH 660 and it did well with Hevi Shot but I decided to go to lead and with Win 31/2 #5s the JH would do mid 90s to 110. The IC 665 put up two back to back 88 and the 655 done 119 in the 10" with a dirty bore. My gun was deep cleaned and polished be for the testing and the numbers seemed better dirty.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I shot the 3" 6's through 5 different chokes, and two of the wads had 2 or 3 pellets stuck in them, like you witnessed.  4 of the 5 wads traveled 30 Yards, and the other traveled about 25 Yards.

TauntoHawk

I noticed too the wads going 25-30yds with a pellet or two in them but my patterns have been impressive for lead so I wasn't too concerned for 5 times cheaper than Hevi.. I'll still shoot the hevi myself but guest and youth hunter can use the thug lead when using my gun
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

SgtUSMC

Same exact thing happened to me with the same shell, thug 3/5.

Pattern was less than impressive, wad slammed the target at 40 yards right underneath the bull.  I mean it hit it so hard had it been a turkey there would have been meat damage for sure.  I have 2 credible witnesses also.
Didn't happen with any of our 6's though.

eight bore

Not a big deal having some pellets stuck in the base if they perform, i see some good points about the load, hard pellets, soft thin wad material. Handloader's would drop in a tyvek disc or a felt in the bottom to stop the pellet from sticking to the wad.
There is no Left or Right -- there is only freedom or tyranny. Everything else is an illusion, an obfuscation to keep you confused and silent as the world burns around you." - Philip Brennan

surehuntsalot

I have had this happen before with Winchester HV and other shells,really no big deal
it's not the harvest,it's the chase