turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

swing and a miss...

Started by tiggere, April 17, 2013, 07:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiggere

Got there and setup well before daylight...gobble gobble...bird was roosted behind me...he walked all the way around me and gobbled maybe 5 times...then the hens flew down into the ajoining field...I proceeded to sit there and watch for almost 6 hours before then hens brought him into what I "thought" was shooting distance...turns out with the hump in the field it was a touch over 60...I just knew he was within 50...he was a big'un for sure...got some crappy Iphone video I will post in just a sec...

Sorry guys...hope I can produce one for the team...

tiggere

http://tinyurl.com/bmjshwe

or

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Flying_Solo/media/2013-04-17101935_zps23529b1d.mp4.html

Bird was around 80 yards in the video...stayed at that distance for 5 hours or so...the hens were behind him...he was looking to get out of the sun as he just walked into the tress and strutted his stuff some more...

FullChoke

Now it works.

Man, that must have driven you crazy watching him show out like that just out of range! It still was an awesome thing to experience. Just 40 yards closer next time and Houston, we have ignition and lift-off!

Maybe it's appropriate to ask a stupid question at this juncture. It looks like you are in a popup blind. Is it possible and feasible to move the blind one step at a time with you in it? I have never hunted out of one and I was just speculatin'.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

tiggere

normally I don't hunt in a pop-up...they burned the area a few weeks ago and there was zero cover so I took the pop-up for that reason...I also thought about trying to move but figured eventually they would want to be where I was...not to mention the burned grass and pine cones make a heck of a lot of racked when you step on them...the end of the field you see in the video leads to a busy road so I knew they wanted to come towards me...I think what messed it up was my hen decoy...the other hens were afraid of it...when they finally did come by they stayed well away from it and even ran past it once they got closer...

Honestly I wish I would have waited a bit longer to see what he would have done...he wanted to be in the wood line so probably would have walked up to check out the decoy as it was close to where he wanted to be...who knows...