OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1st Post here. "Old Bird Hunting Old Bird" HA

Started by hewhohunts, April 17, 2013, 02:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewhohunts

My first post here on OG. I thought it appropriate (but probably w ww wwrong) to post it in the 20ga forum as this is my first choice at the "tender" age of 60 putting together an "old man's turkey/duck" gun.

Approaching 100 whitetail with longbow/recurve/BP 54ca and handgun...I'm not "new" to hunting deer.  Hunting the bearded beasts of spring.....Im gleaning all the info I can (and scouting) from forums such at this one and ......several have suggested that I come here.

So.......Here I am.

Needing to retire prematurely due to uh....."health issues" I have the time to hunt more so than earlier years so giving it a go. An Indiana lifetime license since '87........no reason not to, and lots of reason to tackle something "new and different" at this time of my life.

I've had (seriously!) about 60 Remington 1100s and 870s from my Dad's '53 Wingmaster to the "on the way" NIB 20 gauge mag LW......and every single combo I can think of in such, in every gauge along with some SKB SxS 20gas, Browning BSS, a Single Browning featherlite Citori Gr VI, I took to Wis after grouse (successfully.... 8) ......and oh man.......lots I cannot recall.

The "NIB" Wingmaster 20ga is added to my 28ga 11-48 Mod, 1953 Wingmaster 20ga "skeet" (that few know existed) and a current but "on the way out the door", 1974 1100 12 gauge with upgraded RC barrel.

Nope, no more "high end" shottys like I'd like but.....stuck with the "tried and true" guns I've walked more miles carrying than I want to think about LOL.  In

But anyway, long story.......still too long, I chose a 3 inch 20ga Wingmaster, the ever so heralded SSX choke and four boxes of Federal's 1.5oz #7 Heavyweights........BUT I'll shoot them though other , on hand, chokes to "test" since this is going to be the same combo used for ducks (hopefully) since the Fed reg's require non toxic.  Might try some #6 too down the road but I found four boxes of #7's on sale for 18 a box shipped (OUCH) but no 6's.

BEING an "old timer" I'm one of those that "just cant" buy a camo gun. I've depended on using the shadows and cover for too many years to look for a short cut now. Besides I LOOK AT my guns a lot more than I hunt them.   :love5:

Might be a mistake not having a camo SG, might not, BUT I'm also one of those that think too much advertising centers on things you "must have" .......and not enough attention is centered about the hunter, the situation, the local cover.....and HOLDING STILL , LOL

Expert? Nope, Not even in my dreams but after 5 decades of whacking everything that flys or walks and is legal to hunt in my area, I just know what I THINK ......I "need".

NOT sure I "need" the SSX.....but in truth, I'd like to see this in action.  A bit of a doubting Thomas? Yep.  Depending on the expected range of where I sit, It might not get used in some situations even if it performs beyond my wildest dreams.   There DOES exist a "too tight" pattern, IMHO anyway, for some set ups. Kinda like a fixed 8 power scope hunting whitetail in a grown up creekbottom with 30 yard shots. "TOO MUCH" so I play the odds when I may.

Patterning this weekend (yep......doing this at "the last minute" , season is the 24th) I'll decide on what choke gives me what pattern at a couple different yardages BUT am hoping the SSX is the "chisel plowed field" choke that will give me the range I may need.

NOT saying camo, all the calls you can carry, etc are "wrong". They certainly DO increase probabilities..USED PROPERLY of course but HERE, in N. IN.  I can shoot ONE turkey, and I have time.  NOT getting one , regardless of the game, is not the entire picture and a good time is the entire goal with turkey and dressing being dessert.   :gobble:

Doubtful I will be able to add information of great importance but thanks for letting me "on board".

Hoping to share a photo or two later on!!
God Bless
Steve

FullChoke

Well, allow me to be the first to welcome you aboard. You will fit right in and we look forward to hearing what you discover about turkeys along the way. 

:welcomeOG:

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

surehuntsalot

welcome aboard and hope to be hearing good news from you in the future
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

hewhohunts

I appreciate the welcome, guys!

Three groups seen with a total of 6 strutting Toms this morning while scouting.

and of course, Wingmaster seller dragged his feet and didnt ship it for 3 days.  It's going to be a "push" to get it, pattern it and "be somewhat prepared" by Wednesday of next week.

Good luck to all.  Youth hunt here in IN this weekend.  I expect my nephew's boy to connect again. His dad is a die hard turkey hunter and hunts four states so he has lots of help. lol

God Bless

albrubacker

Welcome! Good place to learn, at least I was able to many things from this great site!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Basser69

:welcomeOG: Sounds like your gonna fit right in around here  :icon_thumright:

dawei

Steve - Welcome to OldGobbler.com from we that gather here in the 20ga forum! I'll be chasing gobblers with my 20ga this weekend! Good luck to you!

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

gobblergls

Welcome aboard.  Old?  An old man is always someone 20 years older than you are.  Camo finishes are not just for concealment purposes or to attract a hunter to buy the gun.  Camo finishes also offer great protection against rust on a gun.  That reason alone is enough for me.

hewhohunts

My "luck" is holding. LOL!
Wingmaster and ammo paid for the 15th and 16th.
Neither has shipped yet.

I wont be out on the opener but weather looks "iffy" so for that day anyway and better by the weekend.

(Don't panic! Don't panic! Don't panic!) ROFL.  More annoying than anything and doesn't do any good to fret about it. They get here when they get here.

You know the old saying "if anything can go wrong......." lol

I've others I could use but......this was the set up I bought FOR that and not in that big of a hurry......I guess?  :morning:

God Bless