turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

MO bird down!!

Started by jakesdad, April 16, 2013, 01:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

After watching this flock of birds for a couple weeks,and my son missing one(twice)at 15 yds,it was finally my turn.Opening day(15th)had lots of gobbling from the 4 gobblers,and sitting where they had come into the field,of course they decide to enter from the far end and come in behind me.So today,(tuesday 16th)I decided to sit in a row of old round haybales where the field comes to a pinch point and the birds will have to pass through if they come thru the field like usual.Well the day dawned and not a single peep from the birds!Around 645 a gobbler comes out of the field about 200 yds away,struttin his stuff.make a few soft calls and a few hens and 2 jakes join him.the hens come ahead into the jake/hen decoys while the strutter chases the 2 jakes around.About 10 minutes after the hens get to the dekes,the jakes come in and mr.strutter will not have any intruders on his ground.comes to the jake and wants to show him whos boss,but a 1 1/4oz of remington hevi shot 6's from the 870 20 puts an end to that real quick.23lbs 12oz,10 1/2 beard 1" sharp spurs.Raining to beat the band when I pulled the trigger,but it sure didnt dampen my day any!!!Fullchoke will post pics later when I send them to him(thank you!)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

Fantastic bird, and heavy like those fat daddies in Missouri always seem to be! Genetics and corn!

YeeHaa!  :z-guntootsmiley:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

gophert

jakesdad

Hopin to chase down his 3 other buddies(or the jakes) this weekend and hope to let my boy try to redeem himself!I'll be back out after them next monday for bird #2.Calling for very bad storms here(3-5 inches of rain,hail,wind,isolated tornadoes)thru friday then clearing off friday night and sunny/cool saturday!I'm guessin if it all holds true they'll be bustin loose big time come saturday!!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Eric Gregg

Congrats on the bird! You and Norm throw some of that MOJO our direction!
I hope to close the deal on that gobbler I saw last Monday. I am this Saturday to see if we can convince him to come again.

Congrats :happy0064:

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase