turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Going to be a cool, cloudy Turk season in IA

Started by Cervinae, April 15, 2013, 09:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cervinae

The timber is brown and open.  The forecast calls for 45 degrees and cloudy.  Wind could also be an issue.  Any set up suggestions?  Calling advice?

xHuskerx

Been the same here in SE Nebraska.  Birds still grouped up.  Find the roost and hunt close to it and find the field edges where they are hanging out.  Calls work but not aggressive calling, just enough to let them know where you are, then let the decoys do the work.  I have found a jake decoy and two hens to work the best right now.  All birds come in to take a look at the jake.  Good luck!

MOStrutter

This weather is awful.  If my stepdad hadn't already took time off for second season then I would think about waiting til third season.  However, you can kill birds.  Called one in for a buddy opening day in Missouri.  The birds are extremely boring to hunt though since they aren't gobbling much right now.

Ded Goblr

Quote from: xHuskerx on April 15, 2013, 11:29:17 PM
Been the same here in SE Nebraska.  Birds still grouped up.  Find the roost and hunt close to it and find the field edges where they are hanging out.  Calls work but not aggressive calling, just enough to let them know where you are, then let the decoys do the work.  I have found a jake decoy and two hens to work the best right now.  All birds come in to take a look at the jake.  Good luck!
Same here in south central NE. Large groups, a flock of 35+ birds crossed the road in front of me opening day. Been cold and really windy every day since..

captpete

Wishing you some luck and hope you have better weather than we had in 1st season! I hunted 1st season and this is the first time in 15+ years I didn't fill my tag. Like has been said, the timbers are brown and open....you can see a long ways through them. The birds are still kind of bunched...we saw several groups of 10-15 birds. The Toms would answer calls maybe once or twice, but acted like they could care less. The weather was terrible(at least where I was at). The 1st morning started off good...cool and sunny with a light breeze. About 2 hrs. later the clouds rolled in & the wind increased to 15-25mph. By 11:00 it had started to rain, sleet & snow. The 2nd day was best weather wise except for the strong wind again.  The 3rd day we hunted for about 1 hour before the rain started. It rained all day occasisionally stopping for 10-15 minutes. The 4th day gave us more rain...3" - 4.5" in a 48 hr period in the areas we were hunting.
The birds just acted like it was time yet... still bunched up, would occassionally answer a call, but appearred to have a lack of interest attitude... only saw 1 bird strutting.

magnus

Definitely been challenging in IA so far.  Managed to get one to cooperate though!!

DaveFroggin

I was lucky enough to have nice weather in South Central Iowa yesterday. First turkey too! Im addicted.