Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

is it possible that my 870 likes lead over h13?

Started by Y@, April 14, 2013, 12:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Y@

I'm asking because that is what I am seeing in my limited testing.  Win Supreme 5's seem to shoot better than any of the heavy loads in my gun.  The patterns seem to be centered more consistently both vertically and horizontally;and, much more even and consistent overall.  Is this coincidence?  I don't want to make a claim that defies physics; but, what i am saying is surely what i am seeing.

FL-Boss

what other loads and choke have you tested? Very possible with that particular choke the Win #5 shoots better. But....I find it hard to believe you would get near the lead numbers when compared to HEVI MAG blends, #6 and especially #7 through any Jelly Head choke.. 

SCDieselDawg

My 870sm with JH.660 didn't care too much for 3.5" heavy  6s (178 at 40yds) while it did pretty good with Winchester XX #6s (130s). Im probably gonna keep feeding it Winchesters since they are significantly cheaper.

FL-Boss

178 hits @40 yards isn't all bad with HEVI #6 shot. But I agree... if you are getting numbers close with lead... shoot lead and save $$

Philippe

Nope, lemme guess are you shooting a 935 and a SSX :TooFunny: those win hv 5's seem to out pattern hevi shot for alot of folks lately  ::)

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI'm asking because that is what I am seeing in my limited testing.  Win Supreme 5's seem to shoot better than any of the heavy loads in my gun.  The patterns seem to be centered more consistently both vertically and horizontally;and, much more even and consistent overall.  Is this coincidence?  I don't want to make a claim that defies physics; but, what i am saying is surely what i am seeing.

Part of the magic of Hevi seemed to be that guns and chokes which didn't really smoke with Lead loads, suddenly came to life and threw some good patterns.  Every gun and choke seemed to suddenly become a 40 Yard turkey-killer.

But when a combo does smoke with a Lead load, the formula might need to be changed by say swapping chokes to see a drastic improvement with Hevi.

Anybody that can shoot multiple patterns in the 130-150 range with Lead at 40 Yards ought to at least consider just using Lead.  Stock up on those shells.

Longshanks

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 14, 2013, 05:47:25 PM
QuoteI'm asking because that is what I am seeing in my limited testing.  Win Supreme 5's seem to shoot better than any of the heavy loads in my gun.  The patterns seem to be centered more consistently both vertically and horizontally;and, much more even and consistent overall.  Is this coincidence?  I don't want to make a claim that defies physics; but, what i am saying is surely what i am seeing.

Part of the magic of Hevi seemed to be that guns and chokes which didn't really smoke with Lead loads, suddenly came to life and threw some good patterns.  Every gun and choke seemed to suddenly become a 40 Yard turkey-killer.

But when a combo does smoke with a Lead load, the formula might need to be changed by say swapping chokes to see a drastic improvement with Hevi.

Anybody that can shoot multiple patterns in the 130-150 range with Lead at 40 Yards ought to at least consider just using Lead.  Stock up on those shells.

I agree..the only POA/POI problems I have had have been with HTL. I'm consistently getting 160's to 170's with Pb and shooting double beads.. Hunting with lead most of the time now.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteI'm consistently getting 160's to 170's with Pb

Man, that is smokin' hot for Lead, even if it was only 37 or 38 Yards.  40 Yards?  Wow!!!

Y@

Sorry for not giving the details of the choke and loads tested.  the choke is an IC .665  I bought the choke after reading all of the consistent groups people were talking about after using the IC chokes.  I bought the 3" 2oz #5, #6 and Magblends as well as some other lead both 3" and 3 1/2".  The Magblends shot well but it was very heavy in the center and had huge holes outside of that.  The #6's shot way high and way right, I'm lefthanded, consistently; and the pattern was not that impressive.  It had a super pattern in about an 8" diameter and was pretty open after that.  What really kept me from testing the 6's more was the fact that they shot so high and right compared to all of the other loads. 
My sweetheart was the Winchester Supreme 3 1/2" 2oz #5  STH12355 on the box.  Deadnuts straight, even, and consistent. Everyshot!  I like to shoot service rifle where consistency wins and this load just gives me the utmost in confidence it shot so well.  Hope this helps.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Quote178 hits @40 yards isn't all bad with HEVI #6 shot.

178 with anything is devastating.  178 Hevi 6's at 40 = a pattern that will kill way past 40.
130 with Lead will still do 40 easy.  HTL sells partly because people try to extend their range.

This is a 40 and under website, and I respect that.  178 Hevi 6's will kill one at 40, and still have the energy to cripple another one (you didn't see) standing 10 Yards behind him at 50.  But then again, so can Lead 5's; but they have less pattern density.

Longshanks

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on April 14, 2013, 07:09:12 PM
QuoteI'm consistently getting 160's to 170's with Pb

Man, that is smokin' hot for Lead, even if it was only 37 or 38 Yards.  40 Yards?  Wow!!!

I am a bowhunter..I shoot with a laser range finder..40yds is what I shoot. That would be disingenuous to estimate yardage. This gun was sent to a gunsmith where major polishing was done on the action, barrel and choke. They used special sanding tools, start with a heavy grit and work their way down to fine grit. Best 30 dollars i ever spent on a gun. That's partly the reason. Having a gun polished professionally is quite different than some of the methods I have read about.

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: Philippe on April 14, 2013, 01:32:58 PM
Nope, lemme guess are you shooting a 935 and a SSX :TooFunny: those win hv 5's seem to out pattern hevi shot for alot of folks lately  ::)

I don't run an SSX, and my Nitro's definitely out pattern my lead 6's. However the 3.5" #6 Federals will consistently break 150 since I deep cleaned my barrel.